Innovative Marine Aquariums

Macro - Nutrient Export

Ratvan

Hello, 

I would like some advise from those who can keep this stuff alive. :d

I am looking for a Macro Algae that will primarily be used for nutrient export. However it needs to stay relatively short and would need to be able to have regular exposure to air without suffering adverse effects, not looking at Caulerpa due to issues with it going sexual 

Second function would be an area for PODs to hang on (not a Fuge)

Could I use Cheato for this?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Hello, 

I would like some advise from those who can keep this stuff alive. :d

I am looking for a Macro Algae that will primarily be used for nutrient export. However it needs to stay relatively short and would need to be able to have regular exposure to air without suffering adverse effects, not looking at Caulerpa due to issues with it going sexual 

Second function would be an area for PODs to hang on (not a Fuge)

Could I use Cheato for this?

Chaetomorpha would be a good choice for nutrient export and for pods to colonize, but it's not very attractive and has a tendency to make a mess, so it might not be the best thing to have in your display tank. Ulva is another option that would also provide a good substrate for pods and has a more appealing growth pattern than Chaeto, but it is more readily eaten by a variety of herbivores and has a tendency to detach and blow around in your tank, especially when first introduced.

Certain varieties of red algae (e.g. Gracilaria) also are quite fast-growing and could conceivably be used for nutrient export, but aren't as good at it as green algae like Chaeto, Ulva, and Caulerpa. They do however make more appealing additions to the display, as they often have beautiful branching growth patterns.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Chaetomorpha would be a good choice for nutrient export and for pods to colonize, but it's not very attractive and has a tendency to make a mess, so it might not be the best thing to have in your display tank. Ulva is another option that would also provide a good substrate for pods and has a more appealing growth pattern than Chaeto, but it is more readily eaten by a variety of herbivores and has a tendency to detach and blow around in your tank, especially when first introduced.

Certain varieties of red algae (e.g. Gracilaria) also are quite fast-growing and could conceivably be used for nutrient export, but aren't as good at it as green algae like Chaeto, Ulva, and Caulerpa. They do however make more appealing additions to the display, as they often have beautiful branching growth patterns.

Not going into display, well it can still be seen but will not be the prime viewing area

Ulva is a good call, I have some growing in my 34G(i think) I have Codium as well but that is SLOW also stays relatively short which is beneficial as well....