ReefCleaners.org

Freshwater light on fish only tank for now?

LogicalReefs

I’m setting up a life guard aquatics 4.1 gallon tank and want to add a yellow clown goby. Here’s my concern:

I have a fluval spec v freshwater light I can use to provide a day or night cycle for the fish but I don’t know if the light would produce any adverse effects on the tank. Such as unwanted algae growth, fish stress and anything else I might be missing. Anyone ever done this? Just using this a bandaid until I find a light mount for my kessil a160we for corals to be added later. 

That exact light, no. But I do have a light intended for planted tanks over my coral/LR quarantine. Lots of algae, but that may just be because it's a new tank and I've got the light cycle too long by mistake. The zoas in there don't seem to mind. It won't stress the fish out, but may grow some algae, since that IS a light intended for plants and plantlike things.

If it's just for a fish, all you really need is the ambient room light, or any given little desk lamp/reading light. Especially on a temporary basis.

3 minutes ago, Tired said:

That exact light, no. But I do have a light intended for planted tanks over my coral/LR quarantine. Lots of algae, but that may just be because it's a new tank and I've got the light cycle too long by mistake. The zoas in there don't seem to mind. It won't stress the fish out, but may grow some algae, since that IS a light intended for plants and plantlike things.

If it's just for a fish, all you really need is the ambient room light, or any given little desk lamp/reading light. Especially on a temporary basis.

Sweet. Thanks. I’m probably just going to use the fresh water tank light for a little while. Should have my kessil set up within the month. Will start a tank journal soon!

You may want to consider holding off on the fish, actually, depending on how long the tank has been up. With a tank that small, you want it to be really firmly established before you put any vertebrates in.

21 minutes ago, Tired said:

You may want to consider holding off on the fish, actually, depending on how long the tank has been up. With a tank that small, you want it to be really firmly established before you put any vertebrates in.

Been cycling for maybe 2 weeks? Used bio spira and put some mysis shrimp in the tank when I did. Did my first water change last night and everything looks great. Going to try a yellow clown goby.

Do you have your cleanup crew in? Get that in first, and give it a bit longer. 2 weeks is an extremely young tank by saltwater standards, even if it is fully cycled. You want diversity of microfauna, especially in picos. I'd pop in a few snails (but not many, don't want to starve them), and, among other things, make sure the tank can handle that.