Coral Vue Hydros

Adding a Bubbletip at this point a bad idea?

Poodges

My tank (not my first) has been up for a year and I’ve always wanted to try a bubbletip anemone.  I know they like to wander and my tank has quite a few corals already.  Params are good, flow is good and lighting is good as well.  I know they like to travel but I have a decent bit of clearance on the upper left of my scape.  So, the question is: am I flirting with disaster if I try to add a bubbletip this late in the game? 

Current fts:

912BF147-8BDF-4480-8979-165105E3F74F.thumb.jpeg.6e5303d0293a5c38811b86ef799ef739.jpeg

Even if you had put an anemone in first, it's still a gamble.  They will move around until they find a spot they like.  I've had them sit in one spot for months and then start moving around without warning.  

I appreciate the insight.  How much do they really move... from one side of the tank to the other?  6 inches here and there?  It would pretty much have the left side of the tank to itself and I have a couple of really good spots for it to attach.

Its very different from anemone to anemone. Mine did not move for 6 months from the place I put it - then all of a sudden it’s starts wondering recklessly. Had to remove several frags and remount else. Now it’s settled again but you never know man.

No changes in flow, light, maintenance has absolutely no say - it’s anemone way or the highway.

Mine always moved all over the tank when they were being restless.  From one side to the other and back again.  I finally gave all of mine away because I was tired of worrying about what they would get into during their walks.  

I added an RBTA to my tank almost 6 years in. As long as you are careful and cater to the nem, it won't cause you any grief. Once it's got a spot, do everything you can to prevent it from moving. Powerheads and shadows are the tools you've got, so use them!

It looks like you picked just about the best spot in the tank for it - that cave will allow it to adjust the level of light it receives without moving more than a few inches. They hate direct flow from powerheads, so they are great for trapping them in one area. If you force them to walk through the direct blast of a powerhead in order to leave their spot, they just won't do it.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, jservedio said:

I added an RBTA to my tank almost 6 years in. As long as you are careful and cater to the nem, it won't cause you any grief. Once it's got a spot, do everything you can to prevent it from moving. Powerheads and shadows are the tools you've got, so use them!

It looks like you picked just about the best spot in the tank for it - that cave will allow it to adjust the level of light it receives without moving more than a few inches. They hate direct flow from powerheads, so they are great for trapping them in one area. If you force them to walk through the direct blast of a powerhead in order to leave their spot, they just won't do it.

Thanks so much for the tips and encouragement.  So far it is doing really well.  It has moved it's foot to just underneath the overhang of the cave and seems to be very happy there.  I appreciate the insight.