Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pistol Shrimp Question

dling

Looks my my Pistol shrimp is having problems with it's large claw. Not sure what happened but it's

out from it's burrow which is unusual. It does not seem to be able to move forward due to the claw being kinda limp.

Can the claw be remove by me safely ? Not sure what to do.

So it appears that the shrimp was molting. That was great news. As I was watching it

escape its old skin one of my larger fish very quickly swam up and grabbed it.

I was able to get the shrimp back and put in a fish capture box but its not looking so good.

lying on its back ,feet kicking . This really sucks. So happy then so sad all in a blink of an eye.

• Sad 1

Cause of death in this case was "grabbed by fish", and that's not an article about saltwater shrimp. It's also an article that has a picture of garden eels where it meant to put a picture of planarians, so I don't find myself inclined to trust it much. 

• Like 1

I'm in the process of trying to catch the fish that killed it. I add another pistol shrimp

and it was dead the next day. I'm sure the same fish killed it also. It never had a chance of

digging a hole for protection .

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dling said:

I'm in the process of trying to catch the fish that killed it. I add another pistol shrimp

and it was dead the next day. I'm sure the same fish killed it also. It never had a chance of

digging a hole for protection .

What type of fish?

So I just returned from LFS.  Told them I had a watchman goby that I wanted to pair with a pistol shrimp. They sold me a bullseye.  Ive just read that they dont commonly pair with gobies. 

I call them and the guy said bring it back. What if I add a tiger pistol shrimp to the tank along with the bullseye would there be a problem with that ?

What size tank are you running? I currently have a small tiger pistol shrimp with 2 black ray gobies. I would have preferred the Randall's shrimp because the stay small. But they are aĺl paired up.  So for now all is well.