inTank Media Baskets

? on kenya tree coral

sadie

They're pretty hardy, grow quickly, and propagate pretty easily.  Once they're settled in, they'll start dropping branches that will float around the tank until it finds a spot it can settle and latch onto and then start a new colony.  They're neat, easy corals, but like GSP and a number of others can get out of hand quickly.  I had one for a while and after a month or so had to start pruning it like outdoor hedges to keep it under control as well as keep a close eye out for dropped branches.

• Like 2

hmmm, I'll have to think about it.  I like GSP and how it spreads, but I had yellow polyps once and they kinda came up everywhere all of a sudden and I didn't really like it.  I didn't mind my mushrooms spreading everywhere, but certain things can be a bother.  

Thanks 

• Like 2

I really love Kenya trees, but they are definitely invasive and drop branches all over the place that you have to remove if you don’t want them. They are easy to remove, though, using long handled hemostats like these, you just grab them and pull them off.

38F7C505-D6AD-49E6-9996-8585DDE84E8D.thumb.jpeg.1fbb484865796d2b9a6f0b59d26b3dce.jpeg

692A1C91-3F41-4221-97F9-700BAA6C68D2.thumb.jpeg.5e034997c0dd4a4728a1eeac0844bad5.jpeg

• Like 2
7 hours ago, sadie said:

I was wondering if these grow fast or out of control?

yes, yes, Yes, YEs, YES 

I have one whole side of my 65 completely taken over by them. Need to start cutting them out like a year ago. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

yes, yes, Yes, YEs, YES 

I have one whole side of my 65 completely taken over by them. Need to start cutting them out like a year ago. 

Yeah I wonder if it might be harder to control them in a bigger tank if you can’t easily reach them to yank them out?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, sadie said:

If they attach to a rock, how would you get it off?  Would it be like a toadstool, that would regrow if a piece of flesh were left behind?

I've had to use neat Aiptasia X to burn it out, short of smashing the rock to smithereens and making rubble about the only thing that works.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2