Cultivated Reef

Possible Coral Issues?

Robert Popa

I’ve made the purchase a of Neon trumpet coral about 4 weeks ago. Since purchased, there have been several issues with this coral. One large concern of mine was that it’s tentacles would never extend out of the polyps. I would wake up every morning at 2 a.m., specifically to see the tentacles but no luck. My water parameters have been stable and good, and it is most likely not the issue. Throughout the past several weeks, the coral has neither been growing nor showing signs of dying. This week, I had noticed that the base of my coral has started turning white, instead of its original neon green color. Although I was told not to panic and just leave the coral alone, I started to panic and test for everything that could possibly be wrong, along with a large water change. After finding absolutely nothing wrong during my investigation, I have come to the conclusion that there could only be one problem and that was the coral placement. The trumpet coral was firstly placed on top of a rock towards the middle of the aquarium, under full light, and in an area with moderate flow. I have decided to move the coral onto the sand bed in a low light and flow area, to hopefully help it recover. If my theory doesn’t work, what recommendations would you guys have for me? Should I be worrying, or is this a normal thing? 

-Thanks, Rob

FE769D48-3A5D-4594-9873-333659139731.jpeg

59A65B11-3DAD-46EF-9220-16485DCE2503.jpeg

9763520C-724D-46AB-BCCC-BD8507B34266.jpeg

I had a candy cane coral for years only saw the sweeper tenticles once.  I did happen to get a picture of it and it was amazing.  Mine took a while to start splitting and growing, but once it did it grew quicker.  I don't think it looks too bad.  Give it time and you can spot feed it.  Make sure you check your calcium.  But I would leave it alone.

• Like 2