Tank: Fluval EVO 13.5

Light: Stock Fluval, no timer yet.

Return: Jebao DC650

Flow: Jebao SW2

Heater: Fluval 50w with D&D controller

ATO: Tunze osmolator nano.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome,

I’m John, a returning reefer after 5 or so years away from the hobby, starting afresh here in the UK with a little Fluval 13.5 evo.

So, what have I planned so far, well as you can see, I have elected to go barebottom, and have scaped with some carefully selected Aquaroche ceramics. I intend to have some nice zoanthid, acan, shrooms and possibly a hammer and duncans.

The tank is cycling now, its been a week so far, the first test will probably be this weekend, fingers crossed it wont be too many weeks till all is clear and I can start stocking slowly!

Cheers for reading!

JD

• Like 1

Well, after getting really frustrated at the stupid poxy flow system in the rear 3 chambers an intank media basket has been ordered, had to go direct to intank as charterhouse aquatics here in the UK don't know when more stock will arrive! 

In other news all tests are indicative of a green light to the first inhabitants going in!

• Like 1
On 10/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, JPD1980 said:

Well, after getting really frustrated at the stupid poxy flow system in the rear 3 chambers an intank media basket has been ordered, had to go direct to intank as charterhouse aquatics here in the UK don't know when more stock will arrive! 

In other news all tests are indicative of a green light to the first inhabitants going in!

Is there much of a price difference in doing it this way? I know a few people that are waiting on that "store" to restock

17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Is there much of a price difference in doing it this way? I know a few people that are waiting on that "store" to restock

Yes in terms of percentage costs, plus I’m also gambling on no customs nonsense but including postage, about a score more expensive.

• Like 1

So, the intank media basket arrived today, and along with the supplied hole plug and flow director, I am pleasantly surprised, I’m only using floss in the top at the moment, with some purigen on standby should I ever need the intervention. For me, perhaps the best part of the basket was it raising the level of the display, originally it sat about an inch or so from the rim, now it’s probably just under half an inch! Happy days

• Like 1

Finally finished the master plan for a portable RODI unit!

it had to be portable, as it couldn’t be permanently installed under the sink and there’s no other places in my apartment, so it’s been mounted on a small piece of 18mm plywood and connects to an extra appliance tap I plumbed in under the sink, so no more LFS RO for me, now it’s zero TDS all the way!

Vyair RO unit

Vyair RO unit

1 hour ago, Thetravelguy said:

Love the hard scape!!

Cheers, took me ages to decide on what pieces of Aquaroche to get, in the end I opted for the 9004 and three small reef plates, although only 2 are in at the second, I’m thinking of using the third for a Xenia and gsp island

• Like 1

So, after trying to “live with” the bloody annoying droning humming buzzing noise from the stock Fluval return pump, I have installed a jebao/jecod dc650. When I opened the box, I thought I had made a mistake, this thing is tiny! Probably about a third of the size of the Fluval one. It comes with a separate controller with 8 settings, and as with the flow pump I have the option of a 10 minute feed button. As for the noise, it’s very quiet, so much better, even at full flow it’s nowhere near as load as fluvals offering, and on the second flow offering its drawing the same flow through the baffles as was before.

cheers all, laters.

• Like 2

So over the last couple weeks I have added a little livestock, I now have 4 mixed snails, 2 hermits, a hammer frag, Duncan frag and a tiny scan. All seems great so far, nice n stable, the return Pump has settled in nicely and the rattle has gone, I'm tempted to add a couple of tiny clowns, either that or some more coral 🙂

20191027_090313

20191027_090324

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Aqua Splendor said:

Funny to see the snail cleaning algae like this on your picture. Welcome btw, remember to go slowly 😉

Cheers bud, slow and easy wins the race 🙂

I love your rockscape.  When I started my pico I tried to glue rock together and only got one piece to stay glued.  I think it will look fantastic when the corals grow out.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

I love your rockscape.  When I started my pico I tried to glue rock together and only got one piece to stay glued.  I think it will look fantastic when the corals grow out.

That’s the plan, the two shelves actually cantilever out From the main structure to make maintenance and cleaning easier, just need to get the corals in now, I’m pretty sure I will go for the frag garden look, with lots of Zoas, acans, a toadstool or two and depending if I go for an ai prime hd, I’d love a clam in there, but all this is probably months down the line 🙂

• Like 2