Cultivated Reef

J. Sprung "Us vs Them"

mcarroll

I love this guy.

Someday I'm gonna have to read The Reef Aquarium cuz we seem to think a lot alike.

Hope this isn't a repost. I tried a few searches and didn't see it here anywhere.

• Like 4

Makes me think about regulations designed to protect wild species.  Once a species is protected by the Endangered Species Act (ESA), it becomes illegal to sell or even possess that species (even if it were captive born and raised).

I'm not as concerned that collection bans lead to higher prices, but that protections will extend into the aquaculture industry (as outlined by the ESA).  Julian Sprung just barely touches on this when he mentions CITES and groups lobbying against keeping animals of any kind.

I wish we would try to do more to protect the aquaculture industry.  But in general, more is done to try to fight proposed protections of specific species, versus embracing these protections for wild coral and fish (while exempting captive specimens).  This isn't the way I think we should be looking at things; rather, I wish we would try to get the ESA amended to exclude captive/aquacultured animals.

• Like 5