Coral Vue Hydros

Saltwateraquarium.com rock?

Dolphins18

Hey there, been in the hobby for quite some time and am starting up a new tank (Nuvo 30l). I have had a 90 gallon mixed reef for about 7 years and would like to purchase new rock for this tank.

Does anyone have experience with purchasing live rock from saltwateraquarium.com? If not, can you suggest a good place for generally pest free nano sized rock (as the tank is very shallow) that has decent growth on it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Saltwateraquarium.com rock?
  • 1 month later...

Most places are sold out of real wild collected Pacific live rock. About the only way you'll find it is if someone is breaking down an aquarium. I haven't heard anything about the quality of their stock, Google would be the best for that if you're looking for a review.

If you're looking for real live rock, KP Aquatics is where I bought mine. Really nice cultured rock

• Like 1

You're not going to get decent growth and also pest free, I'm afraid. The best you can hope for is minimal, easily-dealt-with pests. If it's out in the ocean growing all the cool things you want, it's going to get some things you don't. You may get lucky and find someone breaking down their tank, and there should be things on there, but you won't get the diversity of wild-collected (and by that I mean cultured, just 'in the wild') stuff.

• Like 1

An addition: learn what is and isn't actually worth panicking about. A lot of "pests" are perfectly harmless if you don't overfeed all to heck, and if your biodiversity is good. Good biodiversity means it's harder for any one species to go nuts and cause troubles. That applies to algae, detritivores, everything.

• Like 2