Innovative Marine Aquariums

Rick_Dixie's IM 10

Capt_Rick_Dixie

They might just be having a cranky day. Zoas do that sometimes. Give them a good dusting with a turkey baster in case something is bothering them, and leave them alone for a day or two after to see if they perk up.

• Thanks 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie

So I've got good news and bad news.  Good news is I got quite a few new corals at some killer prices.  The bad news is that the frogfish passed.  I'm not entirely sure what happened as he was eating and behaving totally fine.  I was watching him one night when literally out of nowhere he started twitching, rolled around a bit, and died.  It was almost like he had a heart attack.  They can be pretty hard to keep in captivity so I'm not too beat up about it but it still sucks.  Maybe I'll give another one a shot later down the road.  I suppose I should change the name of this thread then lol. 

I'm not particularly hopeful that my colony of People Eaters is going to make it.  I gave a last ditch effort to save them with a good dip and Chemiclean but they're still looking real rough.  I guess we'll see though.  All the other corals are doing fantastically though.  

Here are some pics of the new corals! 

20191103_211551.thumb.jpg.e7d45ecb17d348b27afeab54f314c6ea.jpg

20191103_211147.thumb.jpg.16525e161aab96b115860bc184bf14ca.jpg

20191103_211105.thumb.jpg.42429089e6d37673e3aa47b88d90949c.jpg

20191103_210931.thumb.jpg.bd53f52b568fd7a077b5e5e6c4647c93.jpg

20191103_211002.thumb.jpg.6224c6825c0b25ce7dbee85a43433ca3.jpg

• Sad 3

Oh, that's too bad. I would wonder if he genuinely had a heart attack or aneurism or something of the sort- a sudden death like that would imply a possible anatomical defect or the like. As far as I know, anything with blood vessels can have an aneurism, and anything with a heart can have a heart attack.

• Like 2
Capt_Rick_Dixie
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Oh, that's too bad. I would wonder if he genuinely had a heart attack or aneurism or something of the sort- a sudden death like that would imply a possible anatomical defect or the like. As far as I know, anything with blood vessels can have an aneurism, and anything with a heart can have a heart attack.

Legitimately!  It was out of nowhere.  You could see pooling of blood around his heart through his skin too.  It was wild to watch.  

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie
20 hours ago, Tired said:

Huh. Sad but interesting. Do you happen to have any pics? 

Do you plan to get another one? I doubt heart attacks are a common species-wide thing.

I'll see if I can hunt down some pictures.  I remember taking them on snapchat but I don't know if I saved them.  

I'd like to get another at some point as I've had good luck with them in the past but I'll just wait until my LFS gets one in.  No rush over here.  Plus they're expensive haha.    

• Like 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie

Here are two little update pics from last night before a glass cleaning and water change.  Still having some issues with dinos but it's not too bad.  I siphon/brush everything that I can when I change water once a week and I've introduced a ton of pods/phyto from Algae Barn to eventually outcompete.  I'm not too worried about it, as I feel that I've got the situation under control.  Maybe in a few weeks I'll give Dino X or something similar a go.  Aside from the little dino issue everything has been doing really well.  Corals are growing and spreading out.  I can't really complain.    

As far as livestock goes I've added two clowns.  One snowstorm and one flurry bullet hole. I was originally worried about them bickering but they paired up right away without an issue.  Still trying to figure out what I want to do with that main rock as far as corals go.

Sorry for the reflection lol. 

20191212_092616.thumb.jpg.76393b07991f585ae9dc43f90e353dbe.jpg

20191212_092737.thumb.jpg.cfb5cc2ce703708dadbe7faafb922896.jpg  

Good call on not stressing too much about the dinos. Ecosystem changes are generally the thing to try first, before any sort of poisoning treatments. 

The tank looks beautiful! What are the purple zoas with the orange centers off to the left? 

• Like 1
Capt_Rick_Dixie
On 12/12/2019 at 3:13 PM, Tired said:

Good call on not stressing too much about the dinos. Ecosystem changes are generally the thing to try first, before any sort of poisoning treatments. 

The tank looks beautiful! What are the purple zoas with the orange centers off to the left? 

Thank you!  I'm happy with how things are coming along.  Those were labelled as Pink Krakatoas but honestly I've got no clue.  They're actually a neat navy/purple color with peach centers.  I'll take some close up pics sometime. 

As far as the Dinos go there's no sense dumping chemicals in the tank when it really just needs time to really develop a solid ecosystem.  It is still relatively new after all at less than 6 months old.  A little elbow grease, consistent maintenance, and time will eventually do em in.    

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Picked up a few new pieces this weekend.  A small colony of pink zoas, what seems to be a meteor shower cyphastrea, a lord, an echinata, an orange leptastrea, and an unkown chalice.  So far they have been doing really well.  I'm not entirely sold on placement of everything but I only have so much room to work with.  Here are some pics and a FTS. 

20200122_084834.thumb.jpg.7ba4a03edac9b5eb617cb570009af602.jpg

20200122_084921.thumb.jpg.efe97ec39ed7f9fc3094c49e86c9ca23.jpg

758365572_FTSLeft.thumb.jpg.7f0acea8389e2002575a19a26baabdbf.jpg

20200119_205408.thumb.jpg.a1a608d076df8188dcf5b2b7cb709f95.jpg

• Like 2
Capt_Rick_Dixie
On 1/23/2020 at 5:06 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Tank is looking great!

Thanks!  Pretty stoked on how it's coming along.  So far it's been a testament to how simple reefing can be.  Nothing but a weekly water change.  All I'm running in back is a filter sock lol.  

SURVEYMAN46123
50 minutes ago, Capt_Rick_Dixie said:

Thanks!  Pretty stoked on how it's coming along.  So far it's been a testament to how simple reefing can be.  Nothing but a weekly water change.  All I'm running in back is a filter sock lol.  

haha agreed!

All I run is some floss and chemi pure blue.

• Like 1