Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clove polyps not opening

ZR2

Last Tuesday I received an assorted coral pack from live aquaria. I have one clove polyp, one Zoa, and what I think are star polyps? (Live aquaria did not list items on the invoice). I have yet to see the clove polyps open yet but due to the large square rock it’s on, it really limits where I can put it. I also have the zoas, most open but some are closed, I am not sure if they are healthy. The star polyps seem to be very happy with where they are at as they are open when the lights are on and look good. 

I checked calcium, alk, etc and everything was within range. I am concerned about the salinity. I have owned my fluval evo since January and have used the Fluval hydrometer to measure specific gravity and it has never let me down until recently. It would just float at the highest level even after soaking it in white vinegar. So, I ordered a new one that is the Cora Life hydrometer. I seasoned it with salty water as instructed and it is floating between .28 and .29, which is the highest it has ever been. Some water has evaporated from the sump so it is possible that the reduction in water has led to a higher specific gravity. I have been hesitant to add water because I am not sure if the reading is correct. 

I know that many do not like hydrometers but my fluval never caused me issues until it quit recently. Can anything survive at the levels the new hydrometer is showing? 

A999B9B8-B93F-49F6-9B3C-9A15277D9308.jpeg

A018ADB1-CE10-474D-BBCD-08B391A43821.jpeg

B4CA170F-0CBB-47DD-8AD6-C40667008C76.jpeg

• Like 1

Im not really sure if that's a clove polyp looks more like a Cespitularia. Im not an expert but I have clove polyps and they look nothing like that. Its the purple looking one in the picture correct? I would really suggest picking up a refractometer. I have the cheap amazon one and it works well as long as you have calibration fluid. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Im not really sure if that's a clove polyp looks more like a Cespitularia. Im not an expert but I have clove polyps and they look nothing like that. Its the purple looking one in the picture correct? I would really suggest picking up a refractometer. I have the cheap amazon one and it works well as long as you have calibration fluid. 

After looking at the pictures online I think you are right. It’s confusing because live aquaria shows clove polyps in the picture so I assumed that’s what it was. 

• Like 3

Agree it looks like cespitularia, very pretty. Wouldn’t take any action to correct the salinity until you are able to confirm that reading is accurate... 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ZR2 said:

Last Tuesday I received an assorted coral pack from live aquaria. I have one clove polyp, one Zoa, and what I think are star polyps? (Live aquaria did not list items on the invoice). I have yet to see the clove polyps open yet but due to the large square rock it’s on, it really limits where I can put it. I also have the zoas, most open but some are closed, I am not sure if they are healthy. The star polyps seem to be very happy with where they are at as they are open when the lights are on and look good. 

I checked calcium, alk, etc and everything was within range. I am concerned about the salinity. I have owned my fluval evo since January and have used the Fluval hydrometer to measure specific gravity and it has never let me down until recently. It would just float at the highest level even after soaking it in white vinegar. So, I ordered a new one that is the Cora Life hydrometer. I seasoned it with salty water as instructed and it is floating between .28 and .29, which is the highest it has ever been. Some water has evaporated from the sump so it is possible that the reduction in water has led to a higher specific gravity. I have been hesitant to add water because I am not sure if the reading is correct. 

I know that many do not like hydrometers but my fluval never caused me issues until it quit recently. Can anything survive at the levels the new hydrometer is showing? 

A999B9B8-B93F-49F6-9B3C-9A15277D9308.jpeg

A018ADB1-CE10-474D-BBCD-08B391A43821.jpeg

B4CA170F-0CBB-47DD-8AD6-C40667008C76.jpeg

be careful where you place the cespitularia....... it can take over a small tank in no time. It grew wild in my 75 gallon and had to be ripped out because it was stinging and over growing the neighboring corals. It can also let go of the rocks and fly around the tank until it finds something to latch onto. 

very pretty coral, but like Xenia, it is a weed.