inTank Media Baskets

Stick with T5 or swap to Current USA LED

MoJal

Hello, folks. Currently cycling a 40gallon breeder and trying to make some equipment decisions. I am not sure what kinds of corals I want to have yet, but ideally would have a good variety, and am trying to decide if I should swap out my lighting.  I currently have a two bulb t5 fixture, I believe the brand is coralife. Will include a picture of the bulbs as I'm not sure what information on them is relevant. My concern is that they seem to run a bit hot and I also like to keep my home on the warmer side during the summer so I'm worried my tank will overheat. I'd prefer to avoid a chiller. An LED fixture would be cooler right? Would a Current USA Marine Orbit 36inch LED fixture be a worthwhile solution to this or a downgrade from the t5's? Is there something else in this price range that might be a better option? I really like that it is programmable for turning on and off without needing an app. I have a glass top on the aquarium, and the light fixture I have currently sits right on the glass.

IMG_20190922_203421894.jpg

1 hour ago, MollyJane22 said:

Hello, folks. Currently cycling a 40gallon breeder and trying to make some equipment decisions. I am not sure what kinds of corals I want to have yet, but ideally would have a good variety, and am trying to decide if I should swap out my lighting.  I currently have a two bulb t5 fixture, I believe the brand is coralife. Will include a picture of the bulbs as I'm not sure what information on them is relevant. My concern is that they seem to run a bit hot and I also like to keep my home on the warmer side during the summer so I'm worried my tank will overheat. I'd prefer to avoid a chiller. An LED fixture would be cooler right? Would a Current USA Marine Orbit 36inch LED fixture be a worthwhile solution to this or a downgrade from the t5's? Is there something else in this price range that might be a better option? I really like that it is programmable for turning on and off without needing an app. I have a glass top on the aquarium, and the light fixture I have currently sits right on the glass.

IMG_20190922_203421894.jpg

I recognize that light fixture, and unfortunately it’s not a High Output T5 fixture, so there’s very few corals that will survive under that light. I’d switch to LED as you can find many fixtures for less than you can but a change of bulbs for T5. LED are also great in that many fixtures are very customizable in terms of intensity and color profile. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

I recognize that light fixture, and unfortunately it’s not a High Output T5 fixture, so there’s very few corals that will survive under that light. I’d switch to LED as you can find many fixtures for less than you can but a change of bulbs for T5. LED are also great in that many fixtures are very customizable in terms of intensity and color profile. 

Gotcha. Thanks! It's second hand and came with the tank, so no big loss if I swap it for something else. Any favorite LED's to recommend? Seems to be about a million different options at any given price point and I'm having trouble narrowing it down. 

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Depending on the depth/height of your tank, the orbit marine IC can be quite capable light. 

I believe it's a little under 18inches high. And I could add more rock if I need to put anything higher up. 🤔

• Like 1

The only issue with LEDs are their ability to grow corals in a reasonable time frame. I'm a huge advocate of LED lighting, however I switched to a hybrid T5/LED light on my last system and the coral growth went through the roof. I love the ability to program LEDs and the sunrise/sunset/moonlight features really add to my enjoyment of the tank, but you need to have patience with LEDs, coral growth is far superior under MH and T5 in my experience. I currently run Radion G4 pro's which are some of the most expensive and highest output LEDs on the market, but the growth under my old T5s was definitely better.

58 minutes ago, Perthreefer said:

The only issue with LEDs are their ability to grow corals in a reasonable time frame. I'm a huge advocate of LED lighting, however I switched to a hybrid T5/LED light on my last system and the coral growth went through the roof. I love the ability to program LEDs and the sunrise/sunset/moonlight features really add to my enjoyment of the tank, but you need to have patience with LEDs, coral growth is far superior under MH and T5 in my experience. I currently run Radion G4 pro's which are some of the most expensive and highest output LEDs on the market, but the growth under my old T5s was definitely better.

LED is very directional, whereas MH and T5 are more ambient. MH and T5 light up the tank whereas LED shines down on the tank. I hope what I’m trying to say makes any sense lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MollyJane22 said:

I believe it's a little under 18inches high. And I could add more rock if I need to put anything higher up. 🤔

I had used TWO 36" ICs over my IM30L (which is about 12" or less on total water depth) temporarily for a few months.  and it was doing fine.  BUT it was far from as good as my higher-output nanobox.    

for 18" deep tank, I'd definitely be looking at at least 2-bar set (their IC "Pro" model) - when you're doing cost comparison with other LED type.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

I had used TWO 36" ICs over my IM30L (which is about 12" or less on total water depth) temporarily for a few months.  and it was doing fine.  BUT it was far from as good as my higher-output nanobox.    

for 18" deep tank, I'd definitely be looking at at least 2-bar set (their IC "Pro" model) - when you're doing cost comparison with other LED type.  

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MollyJane22 said:

They are great little lights. I have run many different versions on my 12L.  

7 hours ago, RedCrow said:

LED is very directional, whereas MH and T5 are more ambient. MH and T5 light up the tank whereas LED shines down on the tank. I hope what I’m trying to say makes any sense lol

You’re absolutely right Red, when I switched to the hybrid I used a parmeter and couldn’t believe the difference in PAR at the outer edges of the tank. LEDs are getting better in that the higher end fixtures tend to have a greater angle of spread but in general they are very directional as you said.