Coral Vue Hydros

Air Line to Raise PH?

RedPhotog

On 9/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, RedPhotog said:

If I run an airline tube from an aqueon air pump into a chamber on the back of my AIO, will it raise the PH?  

It can, if it's pumping fresh air from a window and through a skimmer or a air stone, but simply adding it with the pump next to the tank probably won't.  

The idea of incorporating a setup like that is the location of your tank might be in a room where oxygen level may be lower and co2 higher because it's a room, family, and pet dog/cat hang out in, right, oxygen is used and c02 is exhaled, so you can simply open a window to let fresh air in, but seasons could be an issue like it being too cold in winter to have a window open. Here the setup with a pump and line would a good time to have.

I have a problem where the maximum pH is 8.1 in the late afternoon. pH falls at night, even with an auxiliary Refuge with lights on. The circulation pump from tank to it only runs at night. The whole setup is a pain, and is not doing that much. With a  Tightly sealed house and I'm wondering about that too. Do they make an Air Pump that has an Intake line? I could put the line outside, to feed the air pump. Also I've looked into Soda Lime, and using it as a CO2 scrubber. You can buy it in bulk from Air Products fairly cheaply, but I'm not sure about storing the unused portion. I do have one of those food Sealer machines. For smaller quantities Walmart has it as an order, ship to store item. 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, RedPhotog said:

If I run an airline tube from an aqueon air pump into a chamber on the back of my AIO, will it raise the PH?  

It depends on the CO2 concentration of the air you are pumping into the tank, if it’s outside air, it would almost certainly increase it . If it’s from the same room the tank is in, and the room has elevated CO2 levels (gas burning stove, poor ventilation, lots of people/animals) it probably would not help. 

Before I put a CO2 scrubber on my protein skimmer air intake, my ph would drop every time I turned the (gas)oven on. 

Thanks for all the responses.  My tank is in the basement with the AC running pretty much all day.  I have seasonal allergies, so I dont keep windows open.  I do have a dog, 50 pound pointer, who is always hanging out with me in the basement.  And the kids play down there constantly.  

I dont think I have seen my ph go above 8.0 in the year and a half since its been up.  Its my first reef tank, I have only had fish only systems prior to this one, so keeping an elevated ph really wasnt on my mind in the hobby as it is now.  Like, I am always wondering how those little points can make a difference in growth.  I am scared to dose because I dont dose anything right now, I just maintain the flow with a very strict WC schedule.  I am using RSCP salt, I am really happy with the salt. but am also wondering if there is a salt that can help maintain a ph closer to 8.3.  Or is this strictly a gas exchange situation here?  

How do people keep those levels, especially in a city like Chicago where weather can be extreme either way all year around, which forces reefers to keep their windows closed?  And how long or often does a window have to be open to keep an elevated ph level stable?  Is this an all day everyday kinda thing?  Once a day?  

This hobby is so ridiculously addictive.  There are so many rabbit holes to go down, and the only thing required to get out is the thirst for knowledge and the love for reefing!  Thanks everyone for keeping the ph discussion going, its something Ive been constantly researching lately.  I just dont know how I can get a line to the outside.  Does that line have to go in a skimmer, or can it sit somewhere in the tank?

• Like 1