SaltCritters.com

Fluval Evo V - light upgrade recommendations?

TerraMagnus

For a wee 5 gallon Fluval Evo... I've recently added a bubble tip anemone and would like to maybe add a few SPS/LPS frags. I've currently also got some zoanthids & mushrooms.

I'd like to upgrade to a smart LED light that runs on a schedule. I can spend (US) $200-300. I like some of the Tuna Blue lights except that they seem to need a separate controller to run on a schedule. So I was looking at some others like AI Prime HD which have the controller built in and are programmed via phone app over wifi. 

But since it's such a tiny tank, I know an AI Prime HD dialed down would probably be just fine. I wanted to put it out there and see what other recommendations the community might have.

• Thanks 1

I have not tried it myself, but I've been interested in the Fluval Sea Marine Nano LED. It doesn't have the same degree of customization as the AI Prime of course, but it has a variety of settings that can be adjusted via Bluetooth, seems fairly energy efficient, and should provide more than enough light for the Fluval Evo 5. Plus you get to stay on-brand for bonus style points. 😉

It's also quite cheap compared to the Prime or Kessil A80 + controller. I linked to Saltwateraquarium.com above because they offer more information about the light, but you can get one for like $80 if you look around a bit.

I recently picked up a black (actually blue) box on Amazon for the same tank. It’s a nice blend of adjustable overkill and controllable, and I paid about 130 Canadian.  Brand is Topplanet, 165 W, wifi controls through the app.  Controllable by the hour (“whites”/RGB blend, blues, and “night blue”/purple) or automatic seasonal settings I haven’t played with much yet.  I currently have it peaking briefly at about 1/3 levels both for acclimation and because I’ve been working through a dino bloom since my last new frag.

The light is honestly almost the same footprint as the tank, though XD I have it hanging about six inches above the tank; that’s all it took to get a nice diffusion.  Comes with four cables and a carabiner for hanging, other brackets to be sourced independently.  I’m using a plant hanger I had handy.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
totalimmortal363
On 9/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, billygoat said:

I have not tried it myself, but I've been interested in the Fluval Sea Marine Nano LED

I’ll be keeping this in mind. It’s got plenty of customization for the price, daylight modes, all kinds of neat stuff. For $99, or less if you’re lucky, it may be hard to argue with. 

I ended up getting the AI Prime HD. It's a brilliant light. But one gotcha, for my application: it doesn't cover the whole tank because I can't mount it high enough to get the promised 24" spread (as the aquarium is sitting on my kitchen countertop below some cabinets).

• 3 years later...
Swayzeexpress

Old thread I know, making an account just to ask how you mounted yours. My setup arrived and the fluval 5 evo doesn't have a spot in back that let's the arm sit properly.  Did you trim or add back there or am I missing something?

Thank you very much!

Swayzeexpress

So I ended up with the fluval nano light now thinking it would use the mount on the tank...it doesn't

Anyone know if I can just pop off the stock mount plate? Tank is rolling nicely so I'd hate to crack it

Thanks in advance!