Pod Your Reef

valid idea for aquarium stand?

peytron

I'm interested in putting a 20 gallon reef on the inside of this aquarium stand. There will be nothing heavy on top.

https://petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-brushed-steel-look-fish-tank-stand-up-to-40-gal#

I was wondering if it was safe to assume that because it's designed to hold 40 gallons on top, then 20 gallons on the inside bottom is equally acceptable? Or would the stand only distribute the weight well if the tank is placed on top? I'm not experienced with woodworking (or the aquarium hobby, as this will be my first tank), so I wanted to double check before purchase.

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

You're right, it is designed to support the frame of a standard 40 gallon tank on top.  One might expect the bottom to support a sump.  Without modifications, I'm not sure if it could or not.  However, you could easily put some support material under the bottom panel to support the weight of a tank.

I'm kind of liking this idea of putting a tank in a cabinet (especially if your spouse isn't keen on the idea of a tank in a family room).  You could open the door and enjoy the tank whenever you wish; but close it up, making it a piece of furniture (and hiding the tank).

• Like 1

seabass,

Thank you for the input. When you say support material, do you mean removable material that provides floor contact with the bottom to distribute weight? Or an actual modification to the structure of the bottom of the stand? 

If support material means the former, are there go-to options that people use in this hobby?

You want the weight of the tank supported all the way to the floor.  Depending on the tank (framed or not) the type of support might vary a little.

I would probably just build a simple frame under the bottom panel to support that panel (floor to panel).  Even a series of floor to panel supports (front to back), under the stand, would work.  It wouldn't have to be pretty (or even permanently attached as long as it was the proper height).  Worse case scenario might be to stack a series of plywood sheets under the stand to support the weight (but that would be more expensive).

Make sense?

• Like 1