SaltCritters.com

LIVE ROCK QUANDRY

aviator300

I'm back in the hobby after a 2yr hiatus while traveling in an RV. Home is now Rice Hill OR. Which is 45 mi So of Eugene.                          I've always lived near big cities with many LFSs, but now i'm hours away from even basic reef shops. I'm starting a 2.6 gal pico but can't find any live rock anywhere in my neck of the woods.                                    Can anyone help me find a source of good, cured live rock. Some vendor who would ship very small amounts around 2 to 3 lbs. I've always lived in areas where i would just go to one of many LFSs and have my choice of LR.                  Thanks in advance for any ideas.....Forrest

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Could start dry too, just bring back a little chunk the next time you're in town if you really want someone else's rocks in your tank, but starting dry now would at least let you get cycling.

• Like 1

You could buy some sort of simple macroalgae (chaeto, etc) from an online vendor to get the bacteria and microfauna on it. Either pick something you like and want to keep, or toss it after a few months to seed your rock. That may not bring in much algae, but any hard items you buy online (corals and their plugs, occupied snail shells) will have algae.

My other suggestion is to post in the looking to buy section on here. See if anyone will sell you a handful of live rock rubble or a small chunk of rock (probably just pay the price of shipping) to seed your dry rock with. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

You can buy bottles of Coralline on EBay and Amazon, a fellow Aquarist nearby could scrap some off their glass. You can seed your Aquarium with Sponges from an online “Sponge Pack.” Years ago the way we seeded our Aquariums, was the run the Sponges pieces briefly through a clean blender, pour the solution into the Aquarium with the Filter off, or if a canister recirculating via a bucket. Sump setup, remove the media and let it float in the Sump. Leave the Filter “off” the tank for two hours. Also I would add Copepods and Amphipods to the tank. You can buy Aquacultured Live Rock from Florida and they will ship it to your door. I will only buy my Live Rock from Florida, I want no part of a Dynamited Reef.