inTank Media Baskets

Aaaaand, the diatoms are starting!

Oldfishwife

Yuck, yuck, yuck! I know it’s all part of new tank syndrome, but tank has been so pretty and clean these past few weeks. Now little brown spots are showing up. Oh well. What is the accepted treatment now or is it just wait it out?

I am running carbon, but that’s it. Ammonia/nitrite =0, nitrate 5, phosphate 0, calcium 400, kH 8-9, ph 8, salinity 1.026, temp 80. I’ve been running my lights, Kessil A80 over 10 gal Nuvo for about 10 hours a day and corals are liking them full blast. 

TIA

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Oldfishwife said:

Yuck, yuck, yuck! I know it’s all part of new tank syndrome, but tank has been so pretty and clean these past few weeks. Now little brown spots are showing up. Oh well. What is the accepted treatment now or is it just wait it out?

I am running carbon, but that’s it. Ammonia/nitrite =0, nitrate 5, phosphate 0, calcium 400, kH 8-9, ph 8, salinity 1.026, temp 80. I’ve been running my lights, Kessil A80 over 10 gal Nuvo for about 10 hours a day and corals are liking them full blast. 

TIA

It’s normal. Let it happen. 😊 

• Like 2

Yup.....it's what comes naturally.  In the case of diatoms, 99.9% of the time they go naturally too.

I wouldn't do anything, but simply out of curiosity have you tested for nitrates or phosphates lately?

• Like 1

I added to my cuc today; a couple of trochus snails. So I have 2 blue legs, 2 astreas and now trochus. 

I also added my first fish today. I was going to go with a yellow clown goby, but my granddaughter spotted a yellow watchman and they also had a pistol shrimp, so voila. I only have a 1” sandbed and was a bit concerned, but the shrimp and then the goby discovered the conch shell. That is now home. It took them about an hour to find the shell and each other. They sit there in the mouth of the conch and glare at me! 😂😂😂 goby is George and shrimp is Gilbert. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 9/14/2019 at 7:44 PM, Oldfishwife said:

I added to my cuc today; a couple of trochus snails. So I have 2 blue legs, 2 astreas and now trochus. 

I also added my first fish today. I was going to go with a yellow clown goby, but my granddaughter spotted a yellow watchman and they also had a pistol shrimp, so voila. I only have a 1” sandbed and was a bit concerned, but the shrimp and then the goby discovered the conch shell. That is now home. It took them about an hour to find the shell and each other. They sit there in the mouth of the conch and glare at me! 😂😂😂 goby is George and shrimp is Gilbert. 

Yellow watchmans are great fish. Super cute.

Congrats.

Do you have any nassaurius?

• Like 1

I have astreas and I did have a couple of trochus but returned them because they were bulldozing everything. They knocked over my frogspawn and it was not pleased. 😂 the diatoms weren’t severe and are just about gone.

My yellow watchman died the first night I had it. I didn’t feel good about getting him because he was just hanging around in a corner of the tank, but I think it was my fault because I didn’t acclimate as long as I usually do. The Lfs gave me credit anyway and I got a Tangoroa goby. This one has NOT paired with my pistol yet, but is doing very well. She dug a tunnel under part of my rock and has a front door and a back door. 😂 she was giving me the evil eye this morning. I also picked up a nice Duncan since I had a credit. It’s doing well. 1353043C-5AF2-4550-B25D-AE6957C76228.thumb.jpeg.29a92c459a4a48e0bbd13481e74f258e.jpeg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Oldfishwife said:

I didn’t feel good about getting him because he was just hanging around in a corner of the tank, but I think it was my fault because I didn’t acclimate as long as I usually do.

You need to trust your gut 1000x more than this.

If your gut ever tells you not to buy a fish, don't buy the fish.

Long acclimations are rarely helpful and can definitively be harmful. I don't think this was the problem.  (Look up Sustainable Aquatics' website, look in the white papers section, and read the one on acclamation.)

Giving the fish a 5 to 15 minute freshwater dip before he goes in would not be a bad idea at all though as it will dislodge most parasites in case there are any present and will cause minimal or no stress.  Just make sure to the dechlorinate the dip water.

• Like 3

Pods!!!! I was just sitting close and personal watching stuff move and gauging current when I noticed little bugs skittering around the glass. It’s been a long, long time since I last saw this. 😍

• Like 3