SaltCritters.com

New office 10G

dyazdani

I'm starting a new 10G nano in my office. I'm going to try and get it going this weekend. I'll take some pics along the way to keep everyone informed on how it's going.

Maybe it will be helpful for some of the new folks to see what to expect when they get going.

Thanks and stay tuned!

Went in this afternoon and got things moving. Before the first picture, these are the things I had prepared way in advance.

- Stole some live rock from my main reef, had it in a bucket with a powerhead

- Mixed Kent salt with RO/DI water and adjusted to 1.023 SG (checked with refractometer)

- Rinsed crushed coral with RO water for a while

- Painted back of tank and checked for leaks with fresh water

- Collected random items like power strip, GFCI

OK, so here it is - the tank in its final location, ready for water (have a little crushed coral in there...)

Office1.jpg

Before I got going, I used a hole saw to make about a 2" hole behind the tank for the power cords. I also installed a power strip and GFCI under the cabinet.

Next, I placed the big pieces for my live rock base on the bottom. After the first layer, I poured in my crushed coral and made sure all the nooks and crannies were filled. I put in the rest of the rock and added the heater and a powerhead. There's also a thermometer on the right side.

Some might want to have the heater in first to bring the tank to temperature. It happens that the room temperature was 76 hence the water was already OK.

So after about 20-30 minutes, I was at this point...looks like a cloudy mess

Office3.jpg

After cleaning up my tools and buckets, one last pic...I will stop by tonight and see if the sediment has settled any. Yeah, I know you can see my reflection...

Office2.jpg

Here are a few of the corals - I will take a picture of the whole thing in a while. I just cleaned it and added some new substrate so it's kind of cloudy.

YPolyps1.jpg

Sebae.jpg

Polyp.jpg

mush2.jpg

Mush1.jpg

Brain1.jpg

Xenia.jpg

It's just about 4 years old. I don't have all that much stuff in it. I didn't really do much with it after the first year, but I picked it back up a couple of months ago.

OK, things have settled a bit. I have a micro bubble issue right now. Haven't had the chance to put any baffles in my sump.

Tank041.jpg

Tank042.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been 2 weeks since I started my tank. Ammonia and nitrite readings on every test were 0, I attribute this to the mass of LR and LS taken from my established reef.

I went to the LFS today and bought 10 Astrea snails and 5 each of scarlet and blue legged hermits. They adapted well, scurrying all over the tank.

I also picked up some lighting - a 65W PC fixture with lunar light from Current (Satellite).

I forgot to take my camera, but I'll post pics later.

I've got an AC500 coming on Tuesday which I'll make into a DIY 'fuge.

My AC500 (now the 110) came in today. I bought some CA glue, 100% silicone, and a 4x6 acrylic picture frame. I made a template out of carboard to test the fit of the partition. I then scored the frame and snapped off the edges - had to sand them a bit. I glued it in with CA (Krazy Glue) and after it dried (I used some Zip Kicker after about an hour, RC hobbyists should know this one), I put silicone on both sides of each joint.

How long should I wait before putting it in the tank? I was going to wait for the silicone to cure and then run it a while in fresh water before installing it on my nano.

AC500.jpg

I used some (2 pieces) base rock (that used to be live) from a currently uninhabited tank. The rest is live rock from my main reef.

looks like you have a great start!

if you can, try to post pics of the AC fuge as you go, I would love to see how it looks in the end. What all do you plan on putting in the fuge area?? I am getting my AC 300 tomorrow so I will be going trough the same process as you! any pointers or dont do's?

Archived