Cultivated Reef

Cycling with live media

JoshWolfies

So I bought live sand. Live rock. Bio spira (didn’t put it yet waiting for the sand cloud to clear) 

its a 5 gallon I only plan on keeping a clown goby and hermits maybe a shrimp, later soft corals. Anyway

I’m familiar with nitrogen cycles and such. But being im using live rock (purchased locally and brought home in water) and live sand and the bio spira. Should I expect a long cycle? 

The sand is pretty irrelevant to a cycle, it's all about the rock.

If it was cured liverock(from an established tank with life in it) - there should be no cycle

If it was liverock from a vat of rock in water, which may or may not have dying matter on it- 1-4 weeks

4 hours ago, JoshWolfies said:

The Rock was taken from a tank with critters. He said they been here some time now. Theirs even some purple coraline growth on it. 

Possibly no cycle to little cycle. Especially if you keep it in a bucket of SW, heater, and powerhead

34 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Possibly no cycle to little cycle. Especially if you keep it in a bucket of SW, heater, and powerhead

Oh I already have it set up and running. I dosed some pure ammonia today then poured the whole bottle of bio spira in there. No livestock. I’ll give it a day or two and do a water test to see if it processed that ammonia. If it did I’ll still wait about a week for any spikes. Then add CUC and a yellow clown goby. Or something tiny like that. 

1 hour ago, JoshWolfies said:

Oh I already have it set up and running. I dosed some pure ammonia today then poured the whole bottle of bio spira in there. No livestock. I’ll give it a day or two and do a water test to see if it processed that ammonia. If it did I’ll still wait about a week for any spikes. Then add CUC and a yellow clown goby. Or something tiny like that. 

Don't dose ammonia with liverock, it can kill beneficial life on the rock and defeats the purpose of buying liverock

Ammonia dosing is for dry rock-