Top Shelf Aquatics

Having trouble finding the right fish

Falcon789

I have a 22 gal tank. I have a clownfish and a sharknose goby. I recently purchased a yellow clown goby. Nice fish but has been a nuisance to my acans. Picking at them and laying on them. They have not been looking happy ever since I got it so I banished him to the sump for now. I will be returning it to the store soon. Not sure what options I have. I have heard blennies pick at corals from time to time so its a hit or miss so Id rather not take the chance. I am avodining any agressive fish so dottybacks and damselfish are out of the question. I was told not to take chances with dottybacks as they can be agressive and might get to big for my tank. I wanted to get another goby but stirring up the sand and burying corals has been a problem for me before. The only last option I have is a firefish, but they are jumpers and I have an open top on my tank so I am really risking it here. I started looking at the bangai cardinal fish and it some say they are agressive, especially in a 22 gal. WHAT OTHER OPTIONS DO I HAVE?????!!!!!!?!?!?!?!? Any help would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Falcon789 said:

I have a 22 gal tank. I have a clownfish and a sharknose goby. I recently purchased a yellow clown goby. Nice fish but has been a nuisance to my acans. Picking at them and laying on them. They have not been looking happy ever since I got it so I banished him to the sump for now. I will be returning it to the store soon. Not sure what options I have. I have heard blennies pick at corals from time to time so its a hit or miss so Id rather not take the chance. I am avodining any agressive fish so dottybacks and damselfish are out of the question. I was told not to take chances with dottybacks as they can be agressive and might get to big for my tank. I wanted to get another goby but stirring up the sand and burying corals has been a problem for me before. The only last option I have is a firefish, but they are jumpers and I have an open top on my tank so I am really risking it here. I started looking at the bangai cardinal fish and it some say they are agressive, especially in a 22 gal. WHAT OTHER OPTIONS DO I HAVE?????!!!!!!?!?!?!?!? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi-fin or yasha goby paired with a pistol shrimp would be nice. Peaceful, stays small and low bioload. Also not coral-nippers (although the shrimp *might smuggle a frag into its burrow from time to time). 

here is my list for a 18.5 peninsula tank

purple fire fish

pink streak wrasse

tail spot bleeny

I had a bengai in a 20L was just fine peaceful fish he/she in in a 40br now cool looking fish just floats around the tank.

also have you thought about a canary bleeny, royal gramma,  or chromis?

On 8/31/2019 at 9:40 PM, Falcon789 said:

I've had bad Yellow clown gobies peck at sos and a supposed reef friendly bicolor blenny snack on my lps.  Royal Gramma aren't aggressive towards other fish but can handle themselves against ones that are. How about adding another clown to pair up. Clowns are pretty good at defending themselves too.

One thing to consider is have your list of fish you'd like to have, then plan on the order of introducing them to the tank, typically from the least aggressive first, then after a week or two add the more aggressive fish.

If that's a 20 long then most of these could work

Royal Gramma, Chalk Basslet, yasha goby +shrimp, Vanderbuilt chromi, black and white chromi, swales Basslet, assessor basslet, midget reef chromis, yellow/stop-light cardinal fish, trimma/evotia gobies

Jumpers: firefish, zebra firefish, pink streak wrasse, possum wrasse, sixline wrasse

Possibly boisterous: Falco hawkfish, pygmy hawkfish, crouching coral goby, springers or Talbot damselfish, another clown

I was just going to suggest the pajama cardinals.  I just got my first pair.  I always liked them, but just never did it. I always had the clown and a Royal Gramma or a firefish.  I am really loving them!  They are still tiny and I don't have a lot of coral, but they are pretty and stay out all the time.  They start to come to the tank when they see me approach now.  I've only had them like 9days maybe.