Top Shelf Aquatics

Blenny Died

MylesOleary7

MylesOleary7

My blenny just died and I don't know why, not sure if it was just natural or something else. 29 gallon biocube with 4 other fish and a fire shrimp, the other fish and shrimp seem completely fine. The blenny was breathing fast, slow, fast, slow it was sporadic, I tried to help him and I did a water change and he just slowly died, any ideas?

Sometimes things die for no apparent reason.  Breathing fast could be a lot of different things but it's definitely not a good sign when a fish does that.  

If you had it for awhile and your other fish appear to be fine I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If you do start to see your other fish acting strange, then I would recommend figuring out what the issue is asap.  Test all your water parameters for anything off, observe your fish for physical changes, etc...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, j.falk said:

Sometimes things die for no apparent reason.  Breathing fast could be a lot of different things but it's definitely not a good sign when a fish does that.  

If you had it for awhile and your other fish appear to be fine I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If you do start to see your other fish acting strange, then I would recommend figuring out what the issue is asap.  Test all your water parameters for anything off, observe your fish for physical changes, etc...

Thanks a ton

what kind of blenny? how long had it been in the tank. What are the other fish? Some fish are more sensitive to changes in pH, salinity and temperature. If it was newly introduced, the other fish may have tormented him to death. Or if it was newly introduced 5 fish may be too much for your system to handle. I only have 3 fish in my bio cube and whenever I add another it never lives more than a couple of months. Also, some Blennies do not readily eat pellets and starve themselves to death. Rapid breathing however is usually a sign of distress, illness or lack of oxygen.

• Like 1
On 8/31/2019 at 7:52 PM, Pjanssen said:

what kind of blenny? how long had it been in the tank. What are the other fish? Some fish are more sensitive to changes in pH, salinity and temperature. If it was newly introduced, the other fish may have tormented him to death. Or if it was newly introduced 5 fish may be too much for your system to handle. I only have 3 fish in my bio cube and whenever I add another it never lives more than a couple of months. Also, some Blennies do not readily eat pellets and starve themselves to death. Rapid breathing however is usually a sign of distress, illness or lack of oxygen.

Lawnmower, it was there for a while, it seemed fine and the blenny also seemed to eat well

On 9/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, Ratvan said:

Notice any stringy poo? Internal Parasites possibly?

You know, maybe, he seemed fine before but then he started laying on his side and breathing fast and slow

• Like 1