Pod Your Reef

Blenny Died

MylesOleary7

MylesOleary7

My blenny just died and I don't know why, not sure if it was just natural or something else. 29 gallon biocube with 4 other fish and a fire shrimp, the other fish and shrimp seem completely fine. The blenny was breathing fast, slow, fast, slow it was sporadic, I tried to help him and I did a water change and he just slowly died, any ideas?

On 9/5/2019 at 1:26 PM, mcarroll said:

More data please.

How old is the tank?

How old was the blenny?

How old are the other fish?

Can I see a picture of the tank?

What are you feeding?

02676CF4-48A2-4E74-ADEF-E53AA093698D.thumb.jpeg.ca4f91fb0546647a5caea027ceac7546.jpeg

Less than 3 years, I don’t know, Clownfish are around 3 years I think, I don’t know how old the other fish are, I was feeding Frozen Mysis Shrimp and algae tablets

16 hours ago, MylesOleary7 said:

02676CF4-48A2-4E74-ADEF-E53AA093698D.thumb.jpeg.ca4f91fb0546647a5caea027ceac7546.jpeg

Less than 3 years, I don’t know, Clownfish are around 3 years I think, I don’t know how old the other fish are, I was feeding Frozen Mysis Shrimp and algae tablets

If he had been in there for years then I might consider this a fairly random death....maybe "natural causes".

Can you think of anything new with the tank that would correspond when he first started acting up?

21 hours ago, Tired said:

What other fish? 

Do you have anything in there (aiptasia, etc) that can sting? 

Parameters? 

Rainford Goby, a six line and 2 clowns, I may have some aptasia, not sure about water parameters 

5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

If he had been in there for years then I might consider this a fairly random death....maybe "natural causes".

Can you think of anything new with the tank that would correspond when he first started acting up?

Not really, my hand was in the tank for a little while before but can’t think of anything else

Probably not the only time your hand has been in the tank though.  😉   

Were you outside spraying Roundup before the hand went in?  Or eating buffalo wings?  If there's no extenuating circumstance I think it would be hard to blame the hand.

So if he was in there for a long time and there's no disturbance or change to the tank associated with his decline, I'd say it was natural causes.

17 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Probably not the only time your hand has been in the tank though.  😉   

Were you outside spraying Roundup before the hand went in?  Or eating buffalo wings?  If there's no extenuating circumstance I think it would be hard to blame the hand.

So if he was in there for a long time and there's no disturbance or change to the tank associated with his decline, I'd say it was natural causes.

Ok thanks a ton

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Lawn Mower Blenny, quarantine him by dropping the Salinity in my isolation tank. Then built the Salinity back up using water changes from the main tank. He did well for months and was fat. Was Okay when the lights when down. Next morning was  dead, his head was black, not his natural color. I think he got spooked and slammed into the glass. 

On 9/20/2019 at 8:46 PM, sadie said:

so sorry to hear about your fish. 

Thanks

On 9/20/2019 at 1:05 PM, DSA65PRO said:

I had a Lawn Mower Blenny, quarantine him by dropping the Salinity in my isolation tank. Then built the Salinity back up using water changes from the main tank. He did well for months and was fat. Was Okay when the lights when down. Next morning was  dead, his head was black, not his natural color. I think he got spooked and slammed into the glass. 

I’m sorry, that’s sad

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

I have a innovative 20 gallon tank with two clown and one shrimp. 

This is the my second blenny died on n less than a month

He beat everything including the marine pellets 

The fishes and shrimp are ok

What is wrong with my tank or setup? 

Thanks

You should probably make your own thread to ask. You'll want to post a photo of the tank, give water parameters such as salinity, and list off any symptoms the blenny had before it died.