SaltCritters.com

leaning toadstool leather

reefer2290

I have had a toadstool leather coral in my nano cube for about 3 month and it is doing very well. Lately I have noticed that after I turn my lights out it leans all the way back as if it fell over. Then when I wake up in the morning it is back up as usual and doing very good. My water quality is very godd 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates and ph is 8.2. Is this normal or is something wrong with it?

sounds normal. not every leather 'lies down' but many will react in some fashion to the photoperiod much like plants do (e.g. curl-up leaves, turn toward the light, etc.).

corals are very dynamic. more so than plants. touch one and you'll see an immediate reaction, probably faster than most animal senses/nervous systems.

another thing is that many corals (most?) are actually more active at night than the day. during the day many corals 'passively feed' (photosynthesize) whereas at night they 'actively feed' (hunting or trapping). stony corals are a good example of this.

use a red light if you want to look around at night. it's a whole another world versus what you see during the daylight hours.

Archived