ReefCleaners.org

Hydnophora vs. Montipora

RedPhotog

Does anyone have experience with hydnophora becoming aggressive with other corals? I’m a novice reef keeper, and I’m just now starting to second guess some placement after reading things and seeing some serious growth.

I have a hydnophora exesa encrusted on the same rock with a sunset monti. Corals are about 3 inches away from each other, and im seeing very good growth between the two weekly. I really don’t want to pull off my monti because I love it so much, and I mounted the plug vertically and it’s growing like a Xmas tree, don’t want to disturb it.

I’m thinking about breaking the rock in half with a hammer and chisel. What are your opinions on doing this in or out of water with the corals still attached to the rock. Makes me nervous. Thank you in advance, pics are below. 

AD214B42-8F77-4C31-8198-97083EC48421.jpeg

E4361D7E-78C5-4C7D-87EE-DC53AF39BF5F.jpeg

EF591F78-A165-4040-81C0-C8E0B60C4B65.jpeg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, RedPhotog said:

Does anyone have experience with hydnophora becoming aggressive with other corals? I’m a novice reef keeper, and I’m just now starting to second guess some placement after reading things and seeing some serious growth.

I have a hydnophora exesa encrusted on the same rock with a sunset monti. Corals are about 3 inches away from each other, and im seeing very good growth between the two weekly. I really don’t want to pull off my monti because I love it so much, and I mounted the plug vertically and it’s growing like a Xmas tree, don’t want to disturb it.

I’m thinking about breaking the rock in half with a hammer and chisel. What are your opinions on doing this in or out of water with the corals still attached to the rock. Makes me nervous. Thank you in advance, pics are below. 

AD214B42-8F77-4C31-8198-97083EC48421.jpeg

E4361D7E-78C5-4C7D-87EE-DC53AF39BF5F.jpeg

EF591F78-A165-4040-81C0-C8E0B60C4B65.jpeg

Hydnophora is a very aggressive coral. I regret buying mine because I have to keep it in the sand to keep it from murdering everyone. 

I would take it out and chisel...... just in case in breaks in the worst kind of way. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Hydnophora is a very aggressive coral. I regret buying mine because I have to keep it in the sand to keep it from murdering everyone. 

I would take it out and chisel...... just in case in breaks in the worst kind of way. 

So the coral will be alright if airborne for a minute? 

• Like 1