Top Shelf Aquatics

Can someone please ID these two things?

steveant

I am very new to this and these two things are now showing up on my piece of live rock, that has been in the tank for about 2 months.

Thank you all in advance.

Steve

white thing: possibly a sea cucumber?? I know there are species and are embeded in rock, shouldn't be a bad thing.

Can't see the other thing well sorry

the white thing apeears to be a dead sps skeleton as for the other thing i think i have the same thing living on one of my snails im not sure what it is though

foraminiferan

any unicellular organism of the rhizopodan order Foraminiferida (formerly Foraminifera), characterized by long, fine pseudopodia that extend from a uninucleated or multinucleated cytoplasmic body encased within a test, or shell. Depending on the species, the test ranges in size from minute to more than 5 cm (2 inches) in diameter and varies in shape, number of chambers,

Okay...i guess I was really wondering whether having such things are bad news for those of us with it in our tank or if they are harmless.

more than just harmless imo. i think they're a good bio-indicator of bio-diversity and overall reef health.

there's a pinkish/red version (i dunno if they're the same species, probably not) too. i've heard, their old bodies comprise the 'pink' in pink sands. (the whole sand isn't pink, more like one outta 50 grains)

Thank you all for your replies. I guess it's amazing the things that we haven't seen before in terms of life. I have an african cichlid tank for a year and the only live thing there is what I put in the tank.

On this little reef I almost see new things every day. The white "foraminiferan" is growing since I first spoted it, so I don't think it was a dead coral. And I see some other growths (I'll try to post a pic soon) that are pink is color as you mentioned.

I am grad it's a good thing though.

Thanks again all.

Steve

ApocalypticSurf6

# 2 hes pointing to the circular thing, I had one of those also but it moves around havnt seen it later, mine looked like a small sanddollar but cant really tell from his

Archived