Cultivated Reef

Kenya Tree wilting

Elephant999

So I bought a lovely Candy Cane and some Xenia yesterday and got this massive Kenya tree frag also, but since I placed it in the tank it’s wilting.  It’s looking less like broccoli on the ends but still bending over. Do I need to support it?

3929CE7F-01A7-4561-972A-5130AC92883A.jpeg

Kenya Tree/Colt Coral/Pussy Coral will sulk like this, mine does it for a couple of days at a time and then fully inflate.

How much flow is it getting? Mine tend to do well in gentle flow so the Polyps are open and wave slightly, but not too much that it moves all the branches around

• Like 1

Leather corals are known to do this, especially when being moved, touched, or getting rid of detritus. It needs time to acclimate.

All my leathers have enjoyed a decent amount of flow on them and light.  it helps keep them from getting detritus on them, which helps reduce how often they need to slough off- less often they get moody and droop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. It’s very moody at the moment, although one branch is showing signs of reinflating.  I was offered it for free when I bought the candy cane so couldn’t refuse! 😀

• Like 2
Just now, Elephant999 said:

Thank you. It’s very moody at the moment, although one branch is showing signs of reinflating.  I was offered it for free when I bought the candy cane so couldn’t refuse! 😀

Makes the trip more worthwhile I guess

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 11:28 AM, Elephant999 said:

I was offered it for free when I bought the candy cane so couldn’t refuse! 😀

Sometimes things are worth less than you pay for them even when they're free.

To paraphrase Seinfeld, it's not who has the Tree Coral, it's who's stuck with it.  😆

Can you post your more recent water test results for the Big 5:  calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, nitrates and phosphates.

Also, what lights do you have and how are they set? (Or if you have lux or PAR readings, just give that.)

On 8/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, Elephant999 said:

Definitely, plus the chance to look at a massive tank.

Seems like a reference to something not in this thread.