Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to Keep a Tank Chilled

Goats n Monkeys

Goats n Monkeys

Hi All!

It's Friday night and what better a way to spend your life than plucking keys on the laptop on behalf of your fellow reefers and reeferettes??

HAHA!! Oh man, I kill myself. Anyway, I'm always asking for help on this forum yet never providing any in return so my empathetic side would like to donkey kick out and share how I keep my tank cool during hot weather WITHOUT buying an overpriced chiller or paying extra $$ to constantly run your AC. I keep my pad at 86 this is what else I do:

1. Reverse the light cycle - That's the biggest thing. Run lights during nights and not during the day. Will that shock your system??? Who cares. It's essentially jetlag. If they can't survive that, they weren't meant to survive from the get-go and the real problem is your pampering tactics.
  2. Freeze some water bottles - Get some sealed water bottles and put 'em in the freezer. Then you can drop them in the tank when temp gets high without introducing sketchy chems in the tank. BONUS: tie some string around the bottleneck Epstein-style and hook it around a fixed area in your tank so that the bottle can't float around. I actually string mine up to a binder clip per the 1st pic. YOU SEE THAT??? Oh SNAPS! He's on point tonight SON!
  3. Get breezy! - Yes, obviously, get a fan to blow the top layer of your agua BUT be mindful that by doing this you will be evaporating much more water than normal so this will lead to excessive salinity. Replenish with fresh water more frequently. I do 1 cup every morning but it depends on your total volume. Just dump it in before ya head out to work.
  4. Let's get DARK - Danzig-style! My tank is in a lighted room so reversing the light schedule doesn't just convince the squirmies that it's nighty-night. Trick them into it! Find a black cloth or towel, drape it across the glass and use your mag floats to keep it in place. See my 2nd pic. 

Seriously, doing all of this takes a grueling 5 minutes every morning but it's better than paying for overpriced unnecessary BS so I hope it helped some of ya. If it didn't, perhaps it's redundant, life sucks, you'll be fine, drink good beer and kick ass my friends \m/

tank.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Goats n Monkeys
On 8/17/2019 at 7:45 AM, Clown79 said:

I'd die if the temp gets above 75.

AC a must for me.

Meh, not me. And I'm about to move from CA to Vegas so I'm really in for it! I just blow fans or go take a dunk in the pool. 

Goats n Monkeys
On 8/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, Juno said:

Yeah, the A/C is for me, not them. I'm in Florida though so today it should be a nice and feel like Fall with temps not even reaching 90. Some days its 98, sooooo. 

You've got that murderous humidity though so that's a whole new level of 👎