SaltCritters.com

Returning from a long hiatus

TerraMagnus

Hello. I’m Magnus from Raleigh. I run a blog and a YouTube channel and an Instagram all under this same name. 

I used to keep many aquariums when I was younger, primarily 1980’s-90’s and stopped maybe ~2005 I think. When I was a kid I worked at the LFS, mostly for the generous employee discount, and I met a girl there who didn’t mind watching my tanks with me. I had to marry her and I managed to keep her.

The tanks only stopped during a period of hardship. The hardship is long since over but I realized I was really missing something in my life that I always loved. And it seems the technology has changed a lot since I left.

My wife is out of town this weekend. While she’s away I’m planning to set up a nano reef for her on the kitchen counter. She’s hinted that she would really like such a thing, so I don’t think I’m treading dangerous waters in this idea. She’s expressed some great affection for the Fluval Evo 5 which is likely what I’m setting up for her.

Of course, after that I’ve got to set up something for myself...

• Like 3

Hello and welcome to N-R! :welcome:

It's always great to see someone getting back into the reef game after years away. As you've mentioned there is certainly a whole lot that has changed! I think the Evo 5 is a good choice for a small countertop tank. It's a very versatile system so I'm excited to see what direction you end up taking it. Make sure to start a journal when you get it running so we can all follow along! 😊

What a great surprise for your wife too! What present could be better than an aquarium? 😁

Welcome back to the hobby...no better time than now.  It's easier than ever to successfully run a small system with all the new innovations and methods now available. Looking forward to what you come up with.

• 2 weeks later...