Top Shelf Aquatics

Why you should get it in writing

Euphylin me

Well as some of you may know, I helped a friend of mine open a fish store in Toledo. It was told to me I would be named a co owner after a little while, he would leave the store to me and move on. Having me run the store and him take a step back. Should have got it in writing! Needless to say, I kind of got screwed over. Thank goodness it wasnt with money, just time, effort, and friendship. Its been a little while since ive been on Nano reef as i was working 65-70 hrs a week between the store and my day job. I sold my home tank, sold the nano office tank. then repurchased the nano office tank about 6 months ago. Moral of the story though, if things seem too good to be true, they probably are. I was grateful for the experience of running a store, it truely opened my eyes to alot of things and tought me a ton. I just wish it wouldnt have ended the way it did. But I'm back nano reef! Updates as soon as i borrow someone's camera that is better than my poo poo phone camera!

• Like 5
  • Wow 4
9 minutes ago, Euphylin me said:

Well as some of you may know, I helped a friend of mine open a fish store in Toledo. It was told to me I would be named a co owner after a little while, he would leave the store to me and move on. Having me run the store and him take a step back. Should have got it in writing! Needless to say, I kind of got screwed over. Thank goodness it wasnt with money, just time, effort, and friendship. Its been a little while since ive been on Nano reef as i was working 65-70 hrs a week between the store and my day job. I sold my home tank, sold the nano office tank. then repurchased the nano office tank about 6 months ago. Moral of the story though, if things seem too good to be true, they probably are. I was grateful for the experience of running a store, it truely opened my eyes to alot of things and tought me a ton. I just wish it wouldnt have ended the way it did. But I'm back nano reef! Updates as soon as i borrow someone's camera that is better than my poo poo phone camera!

Good that you are back. 

Sucks that you were screwed over by a friend. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Good that you are back. 

yea it's all good though. I cant tell you how much fun I had running the store, meeting hobbyists, helping people, doing orders, etc! I will admit, it is a ton more work than I anticipated. Normally I can talk reef tanks all day, but 100 poeple asking the same exact questions every day gets tiresome lol

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, sadie said:

That's too bad, especially because it was a friend.  Glad you got your nano tank back, you should post some pictures.  

will do! I need to get a better camera! Honestly, the things he said to me when things got ugly showed he was in it to use me all along.

• Sad 2
36 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Good that you are back. 

yea it's all good though. I cant tell you how much fun I had running the store, meeting hobbyists, helping people, doing orders, etc! I will admit, it is a ton more work than I anticipated. but thanks for the support!

thanks for all the support guys! im planning on upgrading the nano office tank in the coming months!

I'm sorry things didn't work out.

That really sucks and I am astounded every day when I hear about ppl who have no issues screwing people over, especially friends or family.

What goes around comes around!

Glad to see you back here and happy reefing!

• Like 1

Maybe he only wanted you to be co-owner if the store failed. :lol:  At least then you could have claimed no ownership/liability.  I hope you were at least properly compensated for your time.

With all that experience, would you have any interest in opening your own shop?  A little competition between ex-friends?  Although, with overheads, it can be a tricky business to make a lot of money at.

• Like 2
On 8/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, derf9h said:

Ummm what store? I live in Toledo and shop at all of them. Hopefully not Aquarium World on Alexis. Hopefully it is Coral Reef in P-burg lmao.

Lol! Neither of those stores. I dont want to talk crap but it was Aquarium masterminds in toledo

On 8/18/2019 at 4:06 AM, seabass said:

Maybe he only wanted you to be co-owner if the store failed. :lol:  At least then you could have claimed no ownership/liability.  I hope you were at least properly compensated for your time.

With all that experience, would you have any interest in opening your own shop?  A little competition between ex-friends?  Although, with overheads, it can be a tricky business to make a lot of money at.

I wish i was properly compensated lol. Yea, now knowing what I know, I see why people run stuff out of their basement. I thinks fish stores are literally just an avenue to get into maintenance and custom tanks builds for people, that's where the money is at! We had a shipment get held in a warehouse for 2 extra days because of inclement weather. Alot of fish arrived in poor condition. We didnt even get a half refund! I would love to own a store, but I would definitely not rush anything

• Like 3
On 8/17/2019 at 10:50 AM, Clown79 said:

I'm sorry things didn't work out.

That really sucks and I am astounded every day when I hear about ppl who have no issues screwing people over, especially friends or family.

What goes around comes around!

Glad to see you back here and happy reefing!

thanks for the kind words! and yeah, it is pretty crazy. The store is actually really cool though, wish everything would have worked out. You live you learn though!

1 hour ago, Euphylin me said:

I wish i was properly compensated lol. Yea, now knowing what I know, I see why people run stuff out of their basement. I thinks fish stores are literally just an avenue to get into maintenance and custom tanks builds for people, that's where the money is at! We had a shipment get held in a warehouse for 2 extra days because of inclement weather. Alot of fish arrived in poor condition. We didnt even get a half refund! I would love to own a store, but I would definitely not rush anything

There you go!!  Think of all the connections you already have. :naughtydance:

• Like 1