Coral Vue Hydros

Skunk Cleaner vs Seabae

KimmyB75

Well, I have come to the conclusion that the skunk cleaner shrimp (AKA Scampi) is aggravating my Seabae (AKA Mr. Bubbles). Don't judge! My 8y.o. named the fish lol. Mr. Bubbles rotates between 3 spots in the same general area on the same rock. Sometimes on the front left, sometimes on the back/right, and sometimes in the corner behind the rock on the glass. It always attaches to each spot and extends fully, mouth closed, great medium/dark tan color and very sticky. I noticed that it seems to move depending on how much light it wants that day. The back corner is less light. Front left is most light, the back/right has medium light. Although it attaches the foot to whatever place it decided to move, the only spots it seems to really bury into is the front left and the back corner at the glass. As for Scampi, I noticed what looks like raw spots on a few tentacles. I know he climbs on the nem a pretty good bit especially if food falls in the area when I feed, but he is finally starting to leave the nem alone a bit now since I feed him a little extra to keep him occupied. Side note: The nem usually gets whatever food is in the water column and an occasional shrimp/scallop piece maybe once or twice a month.  I am using small grain Aragonite substrate and the foot appears really healthy. I would think the nem would be burying deeper into the substrate instead of only about an inch or 2 down? Could it be possible the substrate causing it to not stay put? If so, am I able to safely remove just a portion the aragonite and replace it with a fine grain since that is the side and rock it likes? I am actually thinking it may be a pretty good idea to take a ziplock bowl and fill it with fine grain sand to place it in then bury the bowl down in the aragonite so the bowl isn't seen. Opinions appreciated.   

How long have you had your Sebae anemone?  They are considered by many, to be a difficult anemone to keep.  Getting them to settle seems to be a common issue.

Your shrimp is looking for food.  In general, skunk cleaners are pretty reef safe, and can usually be kept with anemones.  I did, however, have to remove one of mine that was particularly aggressive to anemones (even when I fed it first).  I'm not sure if the irritation from your shrimp is making the anemone uncomfortable with it's location, but that's one possibility.  The anemone might also be looking for more preferable flow, light, and/or food.

Sebae anemones do tend to attach where the substrate meets rock.  I don't believe that changing the substrate is going to significantly change things.

• Like 1

I have had the Seabae for about almost 2 months now. Poor thing was pretty bleached when I got it. It doesn't move a whole lot just every few days or so and always in the same spots. The back corner on the glass was a new spot it picked yesterday and quickly decided to return back to the rock. I finally found something that has helped since I prefer to leave it alone and let it choose its own spot. The 2 main spots on the rock it likes I dug out a bit deeper underneath so that when it returns to its favorite place it is encouraged to sink in. That actually worked. Almost like making it the nem's idea lol. I have 2 holes for it to switch between when it wants to. So far, so good. It decided to go back to the right side of the rock today and must be planning to stay for a while. That foot is now so far under that it would take ice cubes to get it out lol. Guess it just was to lazy to dig it's own hole lol. The skunk cleaner is a greedy little beast. Always hungry and looking for food. I swear by all the Gods Old & New, that if I fed him 5 times a day he would still be hungry!! I think he has finally started leaving the nem alone since I have pretty much stopped spot feeding it since the color has come back and no longer bleached out. Maybe the raw looking spots in the tentacles are from so much movement along the rock.