Pod Your Reef

Scolymia receding - should I frag it?

cruiZe

Help!    My Scoly is getting worse and worse.    I’ve had this coral for almost a year.   About 2 weeks ago I found the Scolymia part buried in sand and receding.   

I cleaned it off and have had it propped off the sand since and it’s getting worse.   I’ve been feeding it frozen or tiny pellets about every 3 days. 

Side by side pics are July 28 and Aug 7...  alone pic is today (Aug 11)    No perams have changed that I know of (I know you want my specs- I’ll get them)   No other corals are slowing neg reactions.  No new additions within months.  

I’ve seen Bristol worms and pods on it at night.      Should I frag it?   I know taking a dremmel to it will be super stressful but feeding alone isn’t stopping it. 

38E8F070-16EB-40D7-B1EF-825C77E89700.jpeg

E32A160B-DECC-4F2C-BF03-0374B5858975.jpeg

I've heard you can dremmel up the back through the skeleton and then use a razor to cut the flesh, otherwise I have no clue or experience to go on. I've heard you *can* frag them, but it takes years for them to regain their circular appearance, if ever, and they supposedly don't handle it well. But if you think you might have a shot at saving the animal... Hard call, hopefully someone who's more experienced can chime in and help.

• Like 1

Yeah I’m pretty worried about how fragging will look and how long it’ll take to grow back.. but I’m more worried I’m not going to have a coral in another 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

Used Dremel 2” cutting wheel cutting from the back - kept it as wet and cool as I could.   I missed a little piece of decay - we’ll see what happens 

5C7C1791-EB3C-424D-89F0-C8DD744C26DC.jpeg

3A5245C5-1D71-4425-8919-043E086BE4AB.jpeg

3CEAFCD7-A911-4921-A309-AA2F0CC9BDE8.jpeg

• Like 2

Rarely does it not pay off to look at the background of issues like this.

What are overall tank conditions like?

Can you post a tank pic that includes your flow source(s)?

Can you post what your test results have been like for the big five – calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate.

• Like 2