Cultivated Reef

Kuekenthali shrimp?

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

My LFS has these “kuekenthali shrimp” in stock. I’ve never heard of them before, the owner said they’re a type of cleaner shrimp? Does anyone have any info on them? They’re cool looking, but almost impossible to get a photo of because they’re hiding under frag racks.  

I've never heard of it before and had to google it. It says it's nocturnal, so the reason why it's hiding and also not reef safe because it's known to eat anemones, both bad and good. Did you happen to pick one up?

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
2 minutes ago, xM3THODx said:

I've never heard of it before and had to google it. It says it's nocturnal, so the reason why it's hiding and also not reef safe because it's known to eat anemones, both bad and good. Did you happen to pick one up?

I didn’t. I really wanted to, but I’m trying to be responsible and research things first haha. I did a few searches and most of what I could find said they eat aiptasia like peppermint shrimp. I hadn’t seen anyone say theirs ate corals. Also saw they do best in pairs or groups. I’m tempted to go back tomorrow, they’re on sale. At the same time, I want to hold out for a shrimp we would see more often. I can’t decide...

I here ya, but do keep in mind that you'll probably won't be able to appreciate it during the day being nocturnal, but it might be a good functional inhabitant.

NaturallyKait
1 minute ago, xM3THODx said:

I here ya, but do keep in mind that you'll probably won't be able to appreciate it during the day being nocturnal, but it might be a good functional inhabitant.

That’s the reason I’m probably not going to do it. Our tank technically belongs to my four year old and I think he’d be disappointed. I’m thinking a standard skunk cleaner would probably be more fun for him to watch. 

• Like 1