Pod Your Reef

Reef Biotop? For beginner

Gobytron

Hi, so I have a chance to get a fully setup. 50 gal aquarium with 25 gal dump all setup for saltwater. So my plan was that I add a diverse stocking replicating some biotope, but also keep waste production very minimal. It’s my first time getting saltwater but Iam very patient and will take this slowly and calmly. I just wanna plan out how this will go if I buy it. Iam was curious to know if there was a biotope that had a:

-Coral or mangroves

- Pair of fish

- Oddball fish

- goby

- Shrimp

- anemone 

is there a biotope that has them all? And could it be stocked in a 50gallom but still produce minimal waste? Thanks.

Some people design their tanks like Caribbean, cold water species, macro only, certain types of corals only like doing an anemone only tank.

A lot of us just do mixed reefs.

Most produce a certain amount of waste requiring maintenance. Each system is different. Some of us have issues maintaining nutrients in the tank and other suffer the opposite.

Some of us use filtration, some use skimmers, some use nothing.

There are many ways to run a reef system, it's best designed around what you plan on keeping and the hobbyists lifestyle.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Some people design their tanks like Caribbean, cold water species, macro only, certain types of corals only like doing an anemone only tank.

A lot of us just do mixed reefs.

Most produce a certain amount of waste requiring maintenance. Each system is different. Some of us have issues maintaining nutrients in the tank and other suffer the opposite.

Some of us use filtration, some use skimmers, some use nothing.

There are many ways to run a reef system, it's best designed around what you plan on keeping and the hobbyists lifestyle.

Well it’s just that, saltwater is far too expensive to water change, I was thinking A self sustaining tank of 55gal with 25gal sump full with macro alge, I was thinking a pair of clowns of course, a tang, pair of gobys, a pistol shrimp or 2, 3 cleaner shrimp, and one anemone maybe. I’ve never researched into exact species, but could you point me in the right direction?

1 hour ago, Gobytron said:

Well it’s just that, saltwater is far too expensive to water change, I was thinking A self sustaining tank of 55gal with 25gal sump full with macro alge, I was thinking a pair of clowns of course, a tang, pair of gobys, a pistol shrimp or 2, 3 cleaner shrimp, and one anemone maybe. I’ve never researched into exact species, but could you point me in the right direction?

This hobby can be expensive. 

Whatever you think you will spend, expect more. Lol. 

There are  hobbyists that don't do waterchanges, some that only do them every 2 weeks, some monthly etc etc. 

It is still the best way to clean the sand and rocks of detritus

For those that choose to not do waterchanges at all they often rely on equipment.

Dosing will be required at some point when doing certain corals because you wouldn't be replenishing the system with waterchanges.

If this is the route you want to go, researching that particular method will be important as it's done a particular way so that the system can run successfully with no issues.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Gobytron said:

Macroalgae still needs trace elements to grow and thrive. There are suppliments for this like cheatogro but I haven't found it to be 100 percent effective.

Coral definitely needs trace elements. There are over 70 of them in salt water and coral and macroalgae will deplete them over time...some fairly quickly. The easiest way to replenish them is through a water change.

Most people running no water change tanks are using other methods like balling or Triton which also cost $. They are not doing no water change to save money....it's just to save time. They still spend on suppliments and testing instead.

This hobby can be a huge money pitt. If you can't afford a 55 then I suggest you give up having as many fish and go smaller. Something you can afford.

• Like 2