SaltCritters.com

Nano-Reef is top dog.

Elephant999

Elephant999

I’m not looking to be controversial in any way (I’m British, we are scared of being confrontational 😂).  However, I joined NR in June before I bought my a Evo, learnt a massive amount from here and then bought my tank.

I’ve also browsed other forums (sorry) but they cater primarily for the large tanks.  Sure, the bigger tanks have Tangs and are awesome to look at, but invariably their TOTM’s are very large systems.  I get the impression that if you are not running an SPS dominated 75g with top quality gear, that you are somewhat forgotten about and I feel some elitism, but that’s just my opinion.

Undoubtedly without NR, I wouldn’t have my Evo now, so thank you, don’t ever change on here.  There are some amazing tanks on here that inspire me to make mine amazing too, in time.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Elephant999 said:

I’m not looking to be controversial in any way (I’m British, we are scared of being confrontational 😂).  However, I joined NR in June before I bought my a Evo, learnt a massive amount from here and then bought my tank.

I’ve also browsed other forums (sorry) but they cater primarily for the large tanks.  Sure, the bigger tanks have Tangs and are awesome to look at, but invariably their TOTM’s are very large systems.  I get the impression that if you are not running an SPS dominated 75g with top quality gear, that you are somewhat forgotten about and I feel some elitism, but that’s just my opinion.

Undoubtedly without NR, I wouldn’t have my Evo now, so thank you, don’t ever change on here.  There are some amazing tanks on here that inspire me to make mine amazing too, in time.

Totally agree with you!! Even 75g seemed on the smaller side for a TOTM lol. I've had a 75g in the past, hated it and failed. I don't think I'll ever have anything bigger than 25-30. I've been on other sites and NR is by far the BEST!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I found nano, I was really happy to join a community that was for smaller tanks, supportive, and not snobby.

I don't like saying negative things about other sites but unfortunately I found most of them full of elitism, aggression, and judgement.

Nano reef was full of great ppl that didn't point a finger when someone tried something different.

I found myself always coming back here and it's because of the folks on here that make Nano Reef awesome

• Like 10
7 hours ago, seabass said:

It takes all kinds

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/nickelodeon/images/b/b5/SpongeBob_Characters.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150720225844

Before I waste an hour of my life, is SpongeBob or Waldo even in that pic? You have a reputation SeaBass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Elephant999, I agree with your opinion of NR. Folks are more supportive here, and we tend to have a higher percentage of members that don’t create a tank journal and disappear. It’s nice to see a new tank start and you can fully read about it from start to finish and through the good and bad to learn from mistakes and big wins. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Before I waste an hour of my life, is SpongeBob or Waldo even in that pic? You have a reputation SeaBass. 

Hahaha right in the middle!!!😁

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 2
Elizabeth94

Nano Reef is my favorite by far. I have been out of the game for a few years but never forgot this site. Even though I'm starting a tank that is not a nano, I chose to pop back in here. I came back recognizing so many names that were here years ago. It is amazing to see that they are still chugging along with the same tanks I used to follow. A great group of people and a supportive community. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Elephant999 said:

I've never even had a nano tank and I still think n-r is full of inspiring tanks so I very much agree.  

If you take the right point of view, big and little tanks aren't all that different - size is relative. 😉 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I don’t have a nano anymore.  I am gonna have to dab into R2R for the first time.

We have a a number of members with larger tanks.  Some don't even have nanos any longer.

• Like 4
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, seabass said:

We have a a number of members with larger tanks.  Some don't even have nanos any longer.

I understand that and don’t plan on leaving, but I think it would be good to be active on another page as well that a large reef isn’t the minority.  

HarryPotter
8 hours ago, seabass said:

Like me! 🙂 

Nano-Reef is different because it’s not outdated and over-moderated (ReefCentral) or super commercialized (Reef2Reef). It’s just a bunch of hobbiests having fun and sharing their tanks

• Like 8
2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Nano-Reef is different because it’s not outdated and over-moderated (ReefCentral) or super commercialized (Reef2Reef). It’s just a bunch of hobbiests having fun and sharing their tanks

I think most forums start off with the best of intentions. But if your forum is successful and the money starts pouring in, you'll have a hard choice to make: Remain on the side of the hobbyist or be a lapdog for the industry.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, seabass said:

What even is considered a "nano" tank?

HarryPotter
3 minutes ago, nevets9333 said:

What even is considered a "nano" tank?

I think under 30. Maybe 40.  Then Pico is under 5, micro under 2 🙂 

• Like 2

I’m new to saltwater and everyone here has been extremely helpful. I’ve looked at other forums, but didn’t see any reason to sign up as NR has supplied all the information I needed.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Thanks for the kind words @Elephant999, and everyone else! ❤️ ☺️

We have an incredible group of people here! When I started the community forum in 2001, my absolute favorite thing early on was seeing what everyone else was up to with their nano reef journals, all the different clever ways of approaching the same goal. There was so much to discover in those early days, every new nano reef was a chance to try something new and build on the foundation, we learned a lot in those first few years and never stopped innovating. We were all going against the grain as hobbyists and pushing the limits of what was thought possible in reef keeping, not everyone agreed with what we were doing either! It's incredible to look back and see how far nano reef keeping has come, I'm so proud of what everyone here has accomplished!

Nano-Reef.com has always been about making the reef keeping hobby accessible to everyone, to show that a big investment and a big tank isn't a requirement for entry. All of our member's shared experiences, journals, advice and support throughout the years have made it possible, you guys are amazing! ❤️ 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I've only been here for a short minute (Literally) and I'm actually just stepping out of my nano shoes into a larger setup but this still seems like a really great place. Not sure if I can share my much larger build here but at some point I'll post up my current Nuvo 10 once it gets back on its feet. Great to see a really positive group of members!

• Like 3
HarryPotter
1 hour ago, Josh H said:

I've only been here for a short minute (Literally) and I'm actually just stepping out of my nano shoes into a larger setup but this still seems like a really great place. Not sure if I can share my much larger build here but at some point I'll post up my current Nuvo 10 once it gets back on its feet. Great to see a really positive group of members!

You can definitely share the larger build.... my threads are 90g volume and 350g volume 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2