Pod Your Reef

Picky Eater - Yellow Clown Goby

TatorTaco

My yellow clown goby liked any small-ish foods.  Nutramar Ova was always a hit, but not reliably stocked locally.  Decapsulated brine shrimp cysts (dry or packaged in brine) were always a go-to, as were the smaller 1mm PE Mysis pellet food and also minced-up LRS nano blend frozen food.  You may want to broadcast feed this, as they like to perch & pounch on food when something appetizing to them floats by.

Sadly the little guy passed on a couple weeks ago - awesome fish! (bought him back in early 2012)

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, FLARGUE said:

I feed my goby frozen Nutramar Ova. It's an excellent food for Mandarins and it's the only thing the goby eats besides the leftover pieces of shrimp I feed to the anemone.

Good luck and try Ova or fresh shrimp mashed up between your fingers. Both work great for me!

Oh nice! Where do you get the Nutramar Ova??? I’ve never been able to get it and I’ve wanted to try it since I got my mandarin over a year ago. 

2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh nice! Where do you get the Nutramar Ova??? I’ve never been able to get it and I’ve wanted to try it since I got my mandarin over a year ago. 

I got it at my local fish shop in the Orlando area. Looks like that wont help you much 😞

On 7/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, TatorTaco said:

I’ll look and see if you can purchase live brine shrimp. Maybe amphipods would be good if they’re not too big. 

You need newly hatched.  Should be easier to supply that than trying to maintain an amphipod collection.

How have you tried to hatch brine shrimp in the past?  (What method/hatchery?)

How have I gone my entire life without knowing about this????

This definitely warrants a call to my mom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
5 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I used to get one of these and either ant or worm farm for pretty much every Christmas until I was about 15, actually that might be a good Christmas list for this year

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

This will be my first time hatching brine shrimp. 🙂

Simple as feeding your fish.

Tomorrow, clean and fill the hatchery when you feed your fish.

The next day when you feed your fish, feed from the hatchery, then clean and fill the hatchery.

Repeat.

I would suggest taking a look at Rio's in-tank hatchery as well as the flat disc shaped Chinese one that has no name.  

San Francisco bay's hatchery that looks like a black box with a clear vial perched on top is good as well.  

The one I use (which I made) is like the San Francisco Bay hatchery.   I am eventually going to try the disc shaped one because I have heard it is the best. 

• Like 1

Almost forgot: check out PaulB's DIY breeder and his DIY feeder.  

It's in his book as well as over on the salt water smarts blog. Probably elsewhere as well maybe even here — do a search on his account m: @Paul B

• Thanks 1

Update: received the shrimpery. Followed instructions for setup and ran off to work. Wife called later in the day to report my tank was leaking. Determined the black bottom of the shrimpery was cracked. Failed to do a leak test, but at least it was just a couple cups of water. 

Ended up putting the eggs in a plastic drink tumbler, and hooked up an air stone at the top to break the water tension. Tonight will be the first 24 hours, so I might have some good news by then. 

5 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Update: received the shrimpery. Followed instructions for setup and ran off to work. Wife called later in the day to report my tank was leaking. Determined the black bottom of the shrimpery was cracked. Failed to do a leak test, but at least it was just a couple cups of water. 

Ended up putting the eggs in a plastic drink tumbler, and hooked up an air stone at the top to break the water tension. Tonight will be the first 24 hours, so I might have some good news by then. 

Oh no, I’m so sorry that happened to you. 😩😩😩 I hope they hatch in the cup for you. 

I don't know if you happen to have a controller outlet available but if you can run the air pump on a cycle where it's on only once every five minutes that should give you better results.

Worth noting that the shrimpery does no aeration at all and still works quite well.  Also, the fact that it naturally separates the shells from the baby shrimps could be its best feature — and this will be what is most tricky for your emergency set up.  

• Like 1
On 7/31/2019 at 5:23 AM, TatorTaco said:

Wow, I didn’t have the time to watch this whole thing during the week so I just watched it now... very interesting history!!!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I don't know if you happen to have a controller outlet available but if you can run the air pump on a cycle where it's on only once every five minutes that should give you better results.

Worth noting that the shrimpery does no aeration at all and still works quite well.  Also, the fact that it naturally separates the shells from the baby shrimps could be its best feature — and this will be what is most tricky for your emergency set up.  

Thats good to know. 

Im sure I can rig something up then.  🙂

On 8/3/2019 at 8:51 AM, mcarroll said:

Also, the fact that it naturally separates the shells from the baby shrimps could be its best feature — and this will be what is most tricky for your emergency set up.  

Mccarroll - Is there a reason that this is necessary? I just suck up as many of the newly hatched shrimp with my turkey baster and most of the shell get left behind but some get sucked up with the shrimp and I just put them in the tank too. My filter takes care of what the fish and corals don't eat. I haven't had any problems so far but just wondering why some people are concerned about the shells???

1. Mess
  2. Dangerous for some things to ingest
  3. Mess

If you don't mind working aorund them and do a fairly good job, then it may never be an issue.

They also sell (and you can make) decapsulated brine shrimp eggs that have no shell.  Avoid the issue entirely if you want.  🙂

Check out "Use of decapsulated Artemia cysts in ornamental fish culture"

I've got a few other interesting posts concerning brine shrimp if you look at this search: https://reefsuccess.com/page/2/?s=artemia

• Like 2