Innovative Marine Aquariums

ID: Possible invertebrate projection?

Cryolath

I started seeing these a couple of weeks ago, usually only pop out when the tank lights are off. Originally I thought there was only one, and now there are definitely three. I believe they are anchored into the holes, and then sweep out around, probably searching for food. They have definitely been in the same locations for at least several days, I haven't been keeping that good track of them. Thanks for all of your help.

IMG_3908.JPG.055d35321a84a73bef8d4e07eb4f7b22.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG.48a95b946e2ff4a276fc1a3067826577.JPG

IMG_3909 edited.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Jozefs a lizard

those are tube worms, filterfeeders, they look really nice when extended in flow, probaby the easiest ffilterfeeder to take care off, literally grows/spreads faster than my corals. the will do no harm,

• Like 1

Peanut worms, maybe? 

Are they hard or soft? Do they move around, or just sit? Do they retract if you touch them? 

Unlikely to be harmful. Probably just some sort of scavenger, detritus-grabber, waiting for food to come by.

Jozefs a lizard

peanut worms are like tubeworms, except they can move, and there are more detrivores, both will reacch when you touch them, they are both good reef critters

they can also be spagetti worms, also detrivores and are harmless

A tubeworm is a feather worm. It's a filter-feeding animal that builds a tube, either soft or hard. They don't eat detritus, and will starve in tanks without much nutrition/plankton in the water. If those are tubeworms, those are the tubes, not the actual worms, and won't pull back if touched. 

A peanut worm is a mobile detritivore. It does not build a tube, and crawls/reaches around to look for food. They eat detritus, will live just fine in pretty much any tank, and are useful scavengers. These, I think, are the more likely option. The picture doesn't look like tubeworm tubes.

They are like each other, yes, but only in the sense that both are worms. 

Spaghetti worms are a third option, but an unlikely one. They reach out with a number of thin appendages to grab for detritus, and have much longer, thinner appendages than are in the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always head of feather dusters being filter feeders vs planktivores.

Shimek's "Marine Invertebrates" says phyto and "bacterial particulates" which I think is detritus.

Sprung's Invertebrates: Quick Ref. Guide seems to say the same.

(I know they are only hobby books.....any other ref's?)

• Like 1