ReefCleaners.org

Lighting Options for 36” long shallow nano

derf9h

So I’m setting up a brand new acrylic nano with the dimensions 36” x 9” x 9”. It will be an open top with drilled overflows and one gyre style wave maker. While I have been in the reef game, large and small, for almost 20 years, I have never used LED for any of my reef tanks. I’m pretty sure it’s time with this tank. I would like something that will span the entire 36” and sit on the rim. It’s a peninsula style tank so I don’t want any light stands or crap hanging from the ceiling. This tank will house all softies. Any suggestions would be appreciated. There is a budget on this but I’m not sure what it is yet lol. 

I want to give a shout out to user ScruggyJ as his tank was the inspiration for this tank. He is using the marine orbit on his tank and it looks great. But that light gets mixed reviews so who knows. Plus the 24-36 model (which is only 22.8” long) is $115, but when you go up to the 36-48” model (which is 34.8” long) the price shoots up to $175. 

13A14D2F-CFDE-48A5-AEB1-F02943CC2F76.jpeg

• Wow 1

Off the top of my head: Current USA, Orphek and GHL.

Check out the Current USA Oribt Marine model #4102 if you want sunrise/sunset.  

If you just want to set up timers/go simple then check out their Truelumen Pro strips, model #3025, 3026 and 3027.  One strip would do it...two or three strips at most, depending on what you want.

4 minutes ago, derf9h said:

Holy shit dude, that’s a sick tank! I think you sold me on the 36” version of the orbit. Thanks!

Thank you. Happy I could help. 😊

On 7/25/2019 at 8:02 PM, derf9h said:

I want to give a shout out to user ScruggyJ as his tank was the inspiration for this tank. He is using the marine orbit on his tank and it looks great. But that light gets mixed reviews so who knows. Plus the 24-36 model (which is only 22.8” long) is $115, but when you go up to the 36-48” model (which is 34.8” long) the price shoots up to $175. 

13A14D2F-CFDE-48A5-AEB1-F02943CC2F76.jpeg

Looks good, and not bashing it, but the journal for that tank is like 1/2 a month span. The corals were bought like that and put under the light. Not an example of how the corals health, color or growth are long term under the light. 

• Like 1

That’s why I was posting the question lol. Pretty sure wv reefers tank has been going for a long time and it looks great under that light. 

• Like 1