ReefCleaners.org

Coral dip?

justinkdenny

15 minutes ago, justinkdenny said:

What do you guys dip your coral with before adding to your tanks?  

I now use Dettol. The Original Brown stuff

0.5ml per litre of tank water, leave submerged with a pump for 5-10 minutes, rinse in tank water and then in display

The following is how I use Bayer*:

Image result for bayer advanced insecticide soil turf

• First I take the frags off their plugs
  • Mix 150ml of tank water with 10ml of Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (for soil & turf)
  • Soak frags in the Bayer solution for 20 minutes
  • Double rinse with fresh saltwater before introducing into quarantine (or display)

* Take safety precautions when working with insecticide (like wearing nitrile gloves).  It's nothing to be careless with.

Certain frags (like zoanthids) I'll add a dip in a hydrogen peroxide, saltwater solution; often followed by a Lugol's iodine, saltwater solution dip.

• Like 2
justinkdenny
3 hours ago, seabass said:

The following is how I use Bayer*:

Image result for bayer advanced insecticide soil turf

• First I take the frags off their plugs
  • Mix 150ml of tank water with 10ml of Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer (for soil & turf)
  • Soak frags in the Bayer solution for 20 minutes
  • Double rinse with fresh saltwater before introducing into quarantine (or display)

* Take safety precautions with working with insecticide (like wearing nitrile gloves).  It's nothing to be careless with.

Certain frags (like zoanthids) I'll add a dip in a hydrogen peroxide, saltwater solution; often followed by a Lugol's iodine, saltwater solution dip.

I've heard this is great but I also heard they changed the label and I didn't want to buy the wrong one.  Someone said you can get it at lowes.  Does anyone have the new label picture? 

justinkdenny
13 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Got mine a few months ago on prime

20190722_165310.jpg

Can someone comment about their successful use of this since company sell?  No problems?  Same ingredients?  Still safe?

33 minutes ago, justinkdenny said:

Can someone comment about their successful use of this since company sell?  No problems?  Same ingredients?  Still safe?

It appears to be the same product (label change, not a reformulation).

• Like 2

I have only been using it for a few months and only on lps.. so far no losses... I was tring to find a sds sheet for the newly branded bio advanced but I can only find the old one on their site for the advanced branded one.. makes me think they are the exact same .. I could see if they have like an ingredient list on the back and post that... maybe someone with an old bottle could do the same so we can compare 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

maybe someone with an old bottle could do the same so we can compare

They should be the same; but here's the old label:

bayer.jpg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

PolypLab Reef Primer

Interesting, the listed ingredient is potassium salts.

I keep expecting to see a coral specific dip made from a 2:1 Imidacloprid to B-cyfluthrin solution (like Bayer/BioAdvanced) come on the the reefing market.

20 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, no clue if it works.  But always willing to try new stuff.   

7 hours ago, seabass said:

They should be the same; but here's the old label:

bayer.jpg

Thanks for posting!!

Here is the new one.. same same...🤙🍻

20190723_162459.jpg

• Like 1

I use Lugols to dip.  I have a bottle of the Bayer but am afraid to use it because I have a parrot in the house and I hear it smells pretty bad.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I have a bottle of the Bayer but am afraid to use it because I have a parrot in the house and I hear it smells pretty bad.

I can't say that I've ever noticed a bad or strong smell.  However, I've never used it indoors either.

justinkdenny

Just an update.  I purchased the Bioadvanced (bayer) from lowes and used it to dip my new frags.  Seems to work well and all corals seem pretty good.  I found 2 starfish a small snail and some type of crustaceans with the corals so I guess it seems to work good.

• Like 1
On 7/23/2019 at 12:08 PM, seabass said:

I keep expecting to see a coral specific dip made from a 2:1 Imidacloprid to B-cyfluthrin solution (like Bayer/BioAdvanced) come on the the reefing market.

Some people have issues with sensitive inverts if they don't get it all off, probably why you won't see it. Though I don't know why they wouldn't in smaller doses, besides licencing/copyright/patent issues, dangers/permits in manufacturing, environmental concerns from waterchanges or something. My best guesses and .02, coral RX is mostly various oils and citrus extracts IIRC for comparison and works pretty well lol...

• Like 2

I use ME Coral Wash Off.  I've also used CoralRx. When I think it's needed I also dip in Bayer.  If it's necessary even Lugol's, which I've only done a couple times.