Top Shelf Aquatics

Stingers/Spermies on Zoo's what the hell?

SeanTay00

Hey guys, my zoo's did something really strange today. I've been cyclying my tank, (yes I know I'm not supposed to have anything in while cyclying so save me the lecture), and today my zoo's started emitting these stringy things. They were brown about 1-2inches in length with the diameter of a course hair. At the end of each one seemed to be a pinhead. They kinda looked like super sperms. Anyone have any clue? Is this a defense mechanism, or a way of reproduction? What the hell. Any insight would be appreciated.

it's either taking a dump or expelling it's zooanthelle (*sp) the latter would be a bad thing. it probably did this in response to the stress it went through as the tank conditions were changing while cycling.

• 3 weeks later...

It is probably taking a "dump". What happens is when the polyp inflates, it sucks in whatever garbage along with the water. The gunk that cannot be processed for energy is basically expelled every so often, and this generally occurs at night. However, it does not always. I did an experiment with adding cultured phytoplankton twice a week. I have a mushroom, and they cannot easily process phytoplankton and other things in the water. SO, it crapped it all out along with mucus.

Archived