SaltCritters.com

clownfish still fighting 3 months

errand

I got two baby clownfish when my tank first cycled, one black and white, and one orange [ocellaris I believe both are], the black and white one grew super fast and is at least 3x bigger than the little orange guy. Who is not much bigger than when I got them. The black and white one is a giant fat bitch and he used to spend most of his time in the corner of the tank near the sand, until he decided to host a leather coral, she didn't really care about that and he was happy for a while.

Then he started getting covered in burns from the leather, so I got a giant corkscrew anemone  and he only took 2 days to abandon the leather. He was insanely happy in the giant nem for all of a week, then she decides to take it over for herself. Today I find fat bitch waffling and snuggling in the nem and he is looking very battered with torn fins, and lying on the sand in his old corner, whenever she comes near him he literally is playing dead, lying on his side. 

As it's been 3 months, is anyone able to give me odds on them pairing up by now or will he be permanently bullied and left in the corner? I'm considering taking her back to the fish shop and swapping for another orange baby, she's a gorgeous big fish but I hate the fighting and feel so sorry for the poor little boy.

8 hours ago, errand said:

I believe both are

So there's a possibility they are different species?

8 hours ago, errand said:

anyone able to give me odds on them pairing up by now

Bonding usually happens quite quickly.  I'm not optimistic.

The Black and White is likely now a mature female.  Clownfish females usually accept a notably smaller juvenile (of the same species) as a mate.

• Like 1

Every black and white clown I have attempted has grown faster and become an evil witch. I've returned every one because of the aggression level.

• Like 2

Here is the fat one herself, they seem to have calmed down a bit, he is no longer playing dead but hiding under a trachy. I think it must have been her initial takeover of the nem that drove her into such violence, she seems much more relaxed now.

20190719_140421 (2).jpg

20190719_114334 (2).jpg

• Like 1

He's not hiding anymore and she is keeping to herself in the nem. Poor poor little dude. And yes i saw her grab him by the mouth and twirl him around a few times. At the moment he's swimming around the tank eating copepods, hopefully his face will heal. 

• Sad 1

OMG. Tonight I see the little guy has found the BTA!! He is extremely happy again - the big fat bitch came over a few times and checked him out but then went back to her nem, lucky they are pretty far apart. She can't possibly guard both of them at once so hopefully even if they're not paired up they can be tankmates!

Neither of them ever noticed this BTA before, and it's been around the longest - they straight away noticed the big corkscrew nem. Luckily the big fat one never cared as the BTA is quite small, and little guy only just fits in it, if she were to host in it it think she would knock it to pieces. 

He's pretty rough with it, i suppose if it minded it would close up?

20190723_204258_Moment(2).jpg

20190723_204258_Moment (2).jpg

• Like 2

Just wait til she starts biting your hand instead of the other clownfish's face.  Then maybe you'll wise up and get rid of her for a more peaceful fish.  😀

spacer.png

• Haha 1