Top Shelf Aquatics

Hermit crab molt?

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

When I got up this morning I noticed a few hermit crab legs scattered around the tank, but I didn’t find any other body parts. We only have two hermits, and now that lights are on I’ve confirmed both are accounted for and from what I can tell still have all their legs/claws. It’s safe to assume one of them molted, right? Last week one of them was hiding in a little cave for 4-5 days and eventually came back out when we got the second over the weekend, was he likely molting and that’s why he didn’t want to come out? 

4 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

one of them molted, right?

Yep.

4 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

was he likely molting and that’s why he didn’t want to come out?

Generally they are reclusive for a couple of days after a molt, while their exoskeletons are still soft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
NaturallyKait
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yep.

Generally they are reclusive for a couple of days after a molt, while their exoskeletons are still soft.

Perfect, that’s exactly what I was thinking. Easy enough. There are already spare shells in a few sizes in the tank in case they need to upgrade, there’s not really anything else I need to do right? 

• Like 1

Definitely a crab molt... had my first molt in my 20g the other day. it was a cleaner shrimp. buutttttt like it was the full complete body. i originally thought he died but then i saw him on the other side of the tank and i was like "oh shit, i have two now". nope. just a molt 😂

• Haha 2
NaturallyKait
16 minutes ago, FishBoy69 said:

Definitely a crab molt... had my first molt in my 20g the other day. it was a cleaner shrimp. buutttttt like it was the full complete body. i originally thought he died but then i saw him on the other side of the tank and i was like "oh shit, i have two now". nope. just a molt 😂

A full body I was prepared for, just legs was a bit more concerning lol. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Now that i think of it, just seeing legs could make me nervous. Something may have munched on the rest of the molt..??

14 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

4 minutes ago, FishBoy69 said:

Now that i think of it, just seeing legs could make me nervous. Something may have munched on the rest of the molt..??

I've had this before. I put it down to the molt going through my filtration and the parts being spat out all over as a result.

NaturallyKait
5 minutes ago, FishBoy69 said:

The hermits are the biggest things in there (just the two of them, a few snails and a clown goby) so unless one of them ate it I’d guess the rest is just hiding. 

1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

I've had this before. I put it down to the molt going through my filtration and the parts being spat out all over as a result.

Entirely possible. The rest could also just be hiding in the cave he was hiding in, I may have knocked the legs out with the turkey baster last night when I was blowing detritus off the rocks. 

• Like 1