inTank Media Baskets

Haitian Tube Blenny

pat_man_ta

Has anyone ever heard of a Haitian Tube Blenny?

I saw this creature at a good LFS last week and was wondering if anyone has one of these (I avoided the impulse buy using The Force® );) . They are terribly cute, stay small, and seem to not stray too far from their cave/tube, which makes me think they would be a good nano fish.

I did find it in one place Via Google.

Pet Solutions apparently carries this creature:

http://petsolutions.com/product.asp?pn=109850L

I am considering getting one...think it will do ok in my 10 with my Blue Neon Goby?

I did a quick search and came up with the following:

1. Males tend to not be found with each other.

2. Females are seen in groups of 3.

3. Seems to eat most aquarium/reef foods.

Here is a PDF with alot of species specific info. Warning the info is 2003 and copy written!

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rocha1/Emblemaria.pdf

This seem to be a harmless fish, but looks like it might be shy (darts and needs holes to hide in) But... this might be one of those great fish for nano's due to its very small size! (remind me to keep an eye out on my LFS)

I'd keep a lid on the tank you put this in, just in case its a jumper.

Hey - first post, so take it easy on me. Been lurking on here for over a year. Had to reply about the Tube Blenny. I purchased one from my LFS, (sold as a Sailfin Blenny). Has been one of the coolest fish in the tank. I was lucky, mine found a hole in the live rock, right in the front of the tank, and that is where he stays. The descritption of him in the links are 'right on'. He sits in his hole and watches everything going on in the tank all day long, darts in and out to chase food and stuff and heads straight back to the hole to watch some more. Very peaceful with my 6-line wrasse and the yellow watchman goby. I have seen him eat everything from seaweed, live brine shrimp, bloodworms and flake food. In fact he eats everything you put in front of him. He is absolutley not afraid of anything, and will eat food right from a turkey baster that I use to feed corals. I recently added a Harlequin Clown Shrimp, (I know, I know they eat starfish), to my JBJ Nano and was very afraid that he would not like his new room mate. WRONG....he just watches the shrimp walk around the tank, like he watches everything else, at one time the shrimp climbed on top of the blenny and sat on him for about 5 minutes, the blenny just sat there and rolled his eyes around trying to see what was on top of him.

But if you're looking for a fish that swims around alot....sorry. If you like personality...it's a cool fish

Thanaseus - questioned if the fish is a "jumper" - and I would say NO. In fact mine rarely leaves the bottom 1/3 of the tank, unless he is chasing food, then I have only seen him come about half-way up the tank.

Archived