Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Trying to id this algae

Tony2163

Hi

6 months into the hobby and all is/was going well.  I now have this algae growing on the rocks and I see some strands on the sand bed.  I'm having trouble trying to get an id as it does not fit the typical description of the common algae's listed.  I'v already started treating with H202, 2 ml per day.

Any ideas on what type of algae this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers1118661128_algae2.thumb.jpg.19cf45fbb049dac9eca9857550bd99b3.jpg1978490603_algae1.thumb.jpg.5d2c8c2158066d991bb69332f572422e.jpg

Is it just stick like or is it slimy or has bubbles?

Does it go away at night and reappear in the morning?

Have you tried spot treating the peroxide right on the "algae".

Can you pull it out with tweezers?

Have you checked it under microscope. It doesn't appear to be dino in the pics but a less blue pick might help identify it better.

If it were dino's, peroxide will not help.

Hi

It's not slimy or has bubbles, I can pull it out with tweezers but it is anchored to the rock pretty good.  As far as I can tell it's there all the time.  I've tried a bit of spot treatment with H202 plus the 2ml dosing, this is the 3rd day so it may take a bit of time.  It still seems to be spreading and is now getting on my corals, may have to get more aggressive.IMG_4130.thumb.JPG.e84f0ce5467b2b221107de0308a37b7b.JPGIMG_4131.thumb.JPG.cbce2c4c387dbfc1fae23a93446e7162.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

This is not an emergency, just a call for basic husbandry.  🙂

Seems like hair algae in a new tank with little or no cleanup crew.

Stop treating the tank.

Start pulling out the algae by hand to help out your CUC a little until you can get them upgraded.  Just don't add too many all at once.

Here's an idea of what I'm talking about to ger rid of the algae you have...shouldn't take long since yours isn't nearly as bad: