Coral Vue Hydros

Need Help Reviewing My 10G Build

PlantedTanksarestillcool

PlantedTanksarestillcool

Hello Everyone!

I have been in the planted tank world for quiet a while now and I was looking to start a nano reef (The saltwater world has always fascinated me!).

I have been doing my research for about a month now and would like to have all the equipment together in around 3-5 months (so I can continue doing research and make sure I bought the right thing the first time). I'm mainly interested in keeping LPS and soft coral as well as a single clownfish and a couple inverts.

My budget for this build was to keep the equipment + clownfish cost below $1000. As for the coral, I plan to start with a handful of frags (nothing super high-end) that I will purchase at least 2 months after the tank is cycled (so ~5-7 months from now).

Below you can see a picture of the spreadsheet I made to tally the cost and keep track of what equipment I plan on purchasing.

Build_Idea_1.png.69720735e5261cf81c7748c01e54ca57.png

My Main Concerns:

• Will the Aquaknight LED be sufficient lighting (I'm talking build quality/ PAR and spectrum outputs)
  • What combination of pumps/powerheads will get me at least a medium flow with no dead spots?

If you have any comments on my equipment choices or how you would do it differently, please let me know! 😁

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com!

On 7/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, PlantedTanksarestillcool said:

Will the Aquaknight LED be sufficient lighting (I'm talking build quality/ PAR and spectrum outputs)

knight3.jpg

Seems like a suitable spectrum.  30W isn't a lot, but it's probably enough for most softies and LPS (in a 10 gallon tank).

On 7/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, PlantedTanksarestillcool said:

What combination of pumps/powerheads will get me at least a medium flow with no dead spots?

I'd shoot for a couple of different sources, with about 350 to 500 gph total flow.

I just got a pixie 30 marine, the build quality is great for a lower budget project however i cant speak on longevity. If this is going to be your main tank for a while, i'm going to suggest you go for the AI prime HD even if you have no desire to keep sps.You and the coral will be happy with the purchase, its a product that will hold a lot more resale value and interest than the other options. 

• Like 1

rodi unit 4 stage? check your area if you have chlorine or chloramine, i had to add another filter for my RO buddie for the chloramine. i got their booster pump too.

i have tried the A80 and HD prime, HD prime all the way IMO. unless you plan to keep soft corals.

• Like 1