ReefCleaners.org

General Cure question

deetu

So, my clown is eating again and looking great but about two weeks after treatment of PraziPro, I saw white stringy poo.  I decided to use the API General Cure food soak for two weeks.  My question now is... do I need to do a full tank treatment with the General Cure to take care of any eggs or anything?  Should I have done a General Cure tank treatment before food soak for that matter? 

I'd like to get a new featherduster but will wait until I know worms are taken care of.  Miss that little guy 😟

I think I read somewhere, some time ago, that the most common thing that causes stringy poo was some protozoa, flagellate, or something like that, not really technical worms or eggs. So I don't know if, or how long they could live outside the host.

I also notice stringy poo sometimes from food like NLS Pellets, less so from something like Frozen or Omega One foods. So food type def plays a role. 

• Like 1

Has the poo returned to normal (brown colored)? If so, I wouldn't worry about dosing to kill any eggs. They mostly hatch inside the fish's gastrointestinal tract.

8 hours ago, xthunt said:

I think I read somewhere, some time ago, that the most common thing that causes stringy poo was some protozoa, flagellate, or something like that, not really technical worms or eggs. So I don't know if, or how long they could live outside the host.

I also notice stringy poo sometimes from food like NLS Pellets, less so from something like Frozen or Omega One foods. So food type def plays a role. 

Thank you hunt but this was definitely worms.  Lost one fish and then clown looked healthy but stopped eating.  Finally saw white, stringy poo in the rocks the day I decided to worm with PraziPro.  She started eating again after and then saw the white poo again so treated food for internal treatment.  Just wanted to make sure it was done.

25 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Has the poo returned to normal (brown colored)? If so, I wouldn't worry about dosing to kill any eggs. They mostly hatch inside the fish's gastrointestinal tract.

Thank you humblefish but I never see these fish poop! :unsure: I think they have an outhouse back behind the rocks. 

But I will make sure to really watch to see if I can see her go.

lol... fish poop... not something I would normally discuss with friends... 

You've never seen them poo?

Then how do you know they have stringy white poos if you've never seen it?

The only really good way to be as sure as you are right now, about whatever it is you're seeing is to take a sample and put it under a microscope.  

I think humble may have photos or be able to point you to example microscope photos of the organism you're looking for.

If you don't have a microscope, consider getting one.  You don't have to spend much to get a functional microscope, $10 and up.

Lots of folks even use toy microscopes for similar purposes.

Buying used is an excellent option too so check out any classified sections that you know about online or off-line.

As a rule of thumb, if the fish is eating all you should do is apply more TLC and keep giving them the highest quality food you can get (live>frozen>dry) and they will kick whatever they have, if anything.

Since the fish is eating now, this is the perfect time to correctly diagnose whatever it is you're seeing so if/when it does become needed you will be prepared to  take the correct action.

Posting a photo of what you are seeing – since it isn't the fish pooping – might help you too.

Sounds like things are probably already heading in the right direction, but just in case you need it: good luck!  😉

9 hours ago, mcarroll said:

You've never seen them poo?

Then how do you know they have stringy white poos if you've never seen it?

The only really good way to be as sure as you are right now, about whatever it is you're seeing is to take a sample and put it under a microscope.  

I think humble may have photos or be able to point you to example microscope photos of the organism you're looking for.

If you don't have a microscope, consider getting one.  You don't have to spend much to get a functional microscope, $10 and up.

Lots of folks even use toy microscopes for similar purposes.

Buying used is an excellent option too so check out any classified sections that you know about online or off-line.

As a rule of thumb, if the fish is eating all you should do is apply more TLC and keep giving them the highest quality food you can get (live>frozen>dry) and they will kick whatever they have, if anything.

Since the fish is eating now, this is the perfect time to correctly diagnose whatever it is you're seeing so if/when it does become needed you will be prepared to  take the correct action.

Posting a photo of what you are seeing – since it isn't the fish pooping – might help you too.

Sounds like things are probably already heading in the right direction, but just in case you need it: good luck!  😉

Hi mccaroll,

My original post of my clown not eating had all the pictures and stuff.  My question was if I needed to treat the tank like I did the PraziPro for eggs.

I really never see them poop.  The day I was going to treat with PraziPro, I saw a tiny piece of stringy white poo stuck in the macro, up until then, nothing.  She started eating again after treatment.   Then couple weeks after, I did see a stringy white poo coming out of her so treated with food soaked General Cure for two weeks. 

Humblefish's sticky is the best! 

The idea of getting a microscope is a good one.  Thanks

Aren't fish fun? :biggrin: