Cultivated Reef

Trachy with dark mouth

Tempestas

So my I noticed this morning that my trachy that I recently acquired has gotten a dark mouth and what appears to be purple discolouration along one side of its rim.

On Sunday I rescaped my fishbowl to create a shelf under which I wanted to place the trachy. That night and on monday night, it's tentacle extension was the best I'd seen from it. Then on Tuesday night I noticed it inflating, opening it's mouth and then rapidly deflating, almost as if it was trying to dislodge something in its gut. I decided to turn it at more of an angle to help in case it had swallowed something unpalateable.

The last two nights, I have not noticed any tentacle extension, even though it was nicely inflated. So I decided to turn it right side up today, which is when I noticed the colour had changed.

This is what it looks like today:

And a pic of when I bought it 9 days ago in the LFS:

1185408859_IMG_6706copy.thumb.jpg.f92632a89df94a100683e40c0830b343.jpg1116378836_IMG_6645copy.thumb.jpg.78a26bb74ec8be4117402a18ddd47dcb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

That’s bad, just saying. If I’m looking at it correctly, the skeleton is starting to poke through the tissue. It’s a gorgeous trachy, but it’s dying. You need to either give it back to your lfs or find it a good home, bc it’s not gonna survive if left in your tank. What are your params?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The tissue is retracting and the skeleton is poking through. Do you have a sand bed? Trachys like a sand bed if possible. Some can grow on rocks, but it can hurt their tissue.