Cultivated Reef

How to superglue frags???

FISHnChix

So this maybe a noob question , but what's your process when you glue down frags or frag plugs.. I always have a hard time with this lol.. I just squirt the gel on there then stick it straight to the rock and hold it for a long while.. doesnt always work and half the time I glue my dang finger to the plug🤣🤣.. there has to be a better way.. should I apply a blob then blow on it first then stick it to the rocks ? HELP!!😎😁🤙

• Like 1

When you say rock are you gluing it to LR rubble to make frags or to the LR in your tank?  I personally use Super Glue Gel for all my frags and I have no issue with them sticking as long as they aren't sitting in super high flow for the first 5 minutes.  I don't use Super Glue to glue frags to my LR though, for that I use epoxy.

6 minutes ago, Jim_i said:

When you say rock are you gluing it to LR rubble to make frags or to the LR in your tank?  I personally use Super Glue Gel for all my frags and I have no issue with them sticking as long as they aren't sitting in super high flow for the first 5 minutes.  I don't use Super Glue to glue frags to my LR though, for that I use epoxy.

I'm talking about using the superglue gel to glue the frag plug to the live rock structure in the tank🤔

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

So this maybe a noob question , but what's your process when you glue down frags or frag plugs.. I always have a hard time with this lol.. I just squirt the gel on there then stick it straight to the rock and hold it for a long while.. doesnt always work and half the time I glue my dang finger to the plug🤣🤣.. there has to be a better way.. should I apply a blob then blow on it first then stick it to the rocks ? HELP!!😎😁🤙

That’s how I do it unless I need to create a platform out of the putty first. 

16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That’s how I do it unless I need to create a platform out of the putty first. 

And how is it that you do it lol

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

I just squirt the gel on there then stick it straight to the rock and hold it for a long while.. doesnt always work and half the time I glue my dang finger to the plug🤣🤣.. 

⬆️

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

The water kind of "dries" the gel on contact, so it sometimes helps to give the plug a quick twist once you've placed it on the rock, hold it in place for 20ish seconds, and then let go. It helps to kind of sandwich superglue-putty-superglue for this reason, it allows the plug or base of the coral (which is typically a flat surface) to kind of mold onto the rock- which is typically not flat- and allows for more contact surface-to-surface between what you're gluing. 

so, frag plug - superglue GEL- epoxy putty blob- superglue GEL- rock. (normal superglue liquid is useless)

If it's not straight up and down, i hold mine still as i can for as long as i can to let it kind of bond- especially if its a large or heavy coral/plug. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, thecoralbeauty said:

The water kind of "dries" the gel on contact, so it sometimes helps to give the plug a quick twist once you've placed it on the rock, hold it in place for 20ish seconds, and then let go. It helps to kind of sandwich superglue-putty-superglue for this reason, it allows the plug or base of the coral (which is typically a flat surface) to kind of mold onto the rock- which is typically not flat- and allows for more contact surface-to-surface between what you're gluing. 

so, frag plug - superglue GEL- epoxy putty blob- superglue GEL- rock. (normal superglue liquid is useless)

If it's not straight up and down, i hold mine still as i can for as long as i can to let it kind of bond- especially if its a large or heavy coral/plug. 🙂 

Sounds like a good strategy 🤗

Agreed on the Gel sort of drying on contact with the water.  To me it sort of creates a bubble that you have to pop once you get it in place where you want.  Like thecoralbeauty said a twist should puncture that and allow the glue to contact the LR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Toasted678 said:

Agreed on the Gel sort of drying on contact with the water.  To me it sort of creates a bubble that you have to pop once you get it in place where you want.  Like thecoralbeauty said a twist should puncture that and allow the glue to contact the LR.

Thinking I'm going to try this next time

• Like 1

I go with the superglue/JB Waterweld sandwich and it attaches things permanently and is pretty quick. It works if you've got fish that like to toss frags around. Snip off the base of the plug or remove the coral from the plug, dry it as best as I can, dot of superglue, small ball of JB Waterweld, small ball of superglue on the ball of waterweld and mash it down on the rock where I want it. Never failed.

Getting it off can be a pain since a lot of the time you need the bonecutters to do it - you can't just pop it off like you can if it were attached with superglue only.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Houston(EX)NanoReefer
On 6/23/2019 at 7:55 PM, thecoralbeauty said:

The water kind of "dries" the gel on contact, so it sometimes helps to give the plug a quick twist once you've placed it on the rock, hold it in place for 20ish seconds, and then let go.

+1 on the place and twist method. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post thanks to the NR folks.. tried that expoxy/superglue gel sandwich. Worked great!!! Used a little much so you can see it a bit too much , but next time I will do better😊

15628033464805209676814388933699.jpg

1562803368601979805476124697589.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

Just wanted to post thanks to the NR folks.. tried that expoxy/superglue gel sandwich. Worked great!!! Used a little much so you can see it a bit too much , but next time I will do better😊

15628033464805209676814388933699.jpg

1562803368601979805476124697589.jpg

Next time get the purple kind and it won’t matter if it shows. 😊

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty
On 7/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, WV Reefer said:

Next time get the purple kind and it won’t matter if it shows. 😊

This. Though I like the consistency of the white kind, but over time it will grow corralling and algae and get dirty so it blends with the rock nicely- so, don't even worry about it!

Glad it worked! nice Duncans and Candy!