Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Polycarbonate Lid Thickness?

xredlinexx1

xredlinexx1

I'm thinking of making my pico a closed tank. Doing a ton of research on acrylic and polycarbonate lids and the general consesus seems go be that they bow. I'm wondering if you using a polycarbonate sheet that's greater than 1/4 inch in thickness will not bow at all. My tank is only 8 by 14 so it's not a large surface area, however I do plan to have my led lights rest flat on the surface. For aearation I plan to cut a 2x2 section out of the top right corner where wires come out and the AIO top drain flows.

Anyone have experience with using thick acrylic or polycarbonate solid lids? Pictures would be cool! Do they still warp over time and can they support a Nemo light 18w resting on them?

The lids I use are poly-carbonate and they don't bow. It is Lexan plastic. My lids are from clear-view. 

I tried acrylic before and it bowed for sure!

xredlinexx1
31 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The lids I use are poly-carbonate and they don't bow. It is Lexan plastic. My lids are from clear-view. 

I tried acrylic before and it bowed for sure!

Nice. What thickness? I was thinking of going down to Lowe's and getting a lexan sheet cut, but the thickest they have is like .2 inches .

7 minutes ago, xredlinexx1 said:

Nice. What thickness? I was thinking of going down to Lowe's and getting a lexan sheet cut, but the thickest they have is like .2 inches .

3/8 of an inch. 

9 minutes ago, xredlinexx1 said:

Curious, do you have a rimless tank? If so, how do you mount your lid? Do you just rest it on top or use clips?

It is rimless, I had the top made so it needs no clips. It has them built in. Clips have salt creep problems when I tried them years ago. 

Random pic but mine is the same concept

DeepBlueEdge57.jpeg