Coral Vue Hydros

How long does Fluconozol stay in your system?

Pjanssen

As many of you know, I had a terrible Bryopsis/GHA outbreak a couple of years back and treated with Fluconozol. The treatment was a success, but with a couple of maonths of neglect of late it is coming back. I thought I was controlling it with diminished feeding and less intense lighting schedule but it's still there. As I am in the process of trying to upgrade this tank and moving almost everything over to a new system, I have a couple of concerns.

1. I don't want to transfer these same old problems to a new tank

2. I don't want to transfer semi toxic medications to a new tank...let me explain

As I was thinking about all the things I want for my new system, one of them being a sump with Refugium, It occurred to me that I use to be able to grow Chaeto like crazy in the back chamber of my BC29,     but now I can't. So I'm wondering if there is residual Fluconozol still in the system. Any thoughts?

19 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I don't want to transfer these same old problems to a new tank

I've been in that boat before with bubble algae, and then again with another aggressive algae.  In both cases, I fagged off what I wanted, and didn't transfer the rocks (which I could never get completely clean due to the porous nature of the rock).

19 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I don't want to transfer semi toxic medications to a new tank...let me explain

I'm not sure how long it lasts.  However, it seems that activated carbon, and even protein skimming may remove it.

Directions:

• Turn off skimmer for first 3 days, and remove activated carbon and any chemical filtration for the duration of treatment. GFO and Phosban can remain in place since the media only removes phosphates.
  • Empty 1 capsule for every 10 gallons of tank water (20mg per gallon) into high flow area in the sump. After 14 days perform a minimum 30% water change. Do not overdose. Filter socks are recommended during treatment in order to help clean the aquarium.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-flux-fluconazole-treatment-reefhd.html

This seems to indicate that it lasts longer than two weeks.  However I speculate, that if you use new water, there shouldn't be any residual affects.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 4:39 PM, Pjanssen said:

As many of you know, I had a terrible Bryopsis/GHA outbreak a couple of years back and treated with Fluconozol. The treatment was a success, but with a couple of maonths of neglect of late it is coming back.

Not totally your faulty - this is an antibiotic being used for something WA-A-A-AY off-label.  😄

To put a fine point on it, if the target organism comes back that's the definition of a failed treatment. 

In all seriousness I would recommend staying away from this treatment in the future.

It occurred to me that I use to be able to grow Chaeto like crazy in the back chamber of my BC29,     but now I can't. So I'm wondering if there is residual Fluconozol still in the system. Any thoughts?

Yes.  As a green algae, chaeto is also susceptible to the effects of this med.

Do more water changes and run an aggressive activated carbon schedule.   (use 1/4 the amount, but change out weekly instead of monthly)

Unfortunately, water changes are the only sure thing...there's limited evidence from wastewater treatment research, but activated carbon seems to be of limited use.

I don't want to transfer these same old problems to a new tank

If there's no coral then just start the next tank like the rock is brand new.   It takes patience and maybe some elbow grease, but there would be no real worries.

Start with no lights and a small cleanup crew for a few weeks.  Hermits and snails. 

Consider adding some new seed material for algae and microbes at the start as well.....detritus or sand (or both) from a healthy tank would be ideal.

After those few weeks, if all is going well, add lights and a small upgrade to the cleanup crew and see how things go for a few more weeks.  Stay on top of all algae growth with hand-pulling and/or more CUC.

That should be at least a couple of months in total.  

Don't move on to the livestocking phase until you feel that algae is under control.

• Like 1