Cultivated Reef

Cotton like algae

biggjoe8

5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

For some reason that reminds me of mold, but I’ve never heard of it in a reef tank before?

No one seems to know what it is. Tank is 11 weeks old. All of the water parameters are where they should be. I have a clownfish a tail spot blenny and an emerald crab. Diatoms are all over the place but the blenny is doing a good job of getting rid of them. Looking for any help on identifying what this is.

22 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Sponge?

That was my thought too.  The pic is a little blurry, so it's hard to say for sure.

Since it's not a coral, nor particularly attractive, I might even brush it off and siphon it out.

4 minutes ago, seabass said:

That was my thought too.  The pic is a little blurry, so it's hard to say for sure.

Since it's not a coral, nor particularly attractive, I might even brush it off and siphon it out.

20190612_124751.jpg

Is it slimy, spongy, or hard?  Can you blow it off with a turkey baster?

Looks like you might have a cyano problem as well. :unsure:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Is it slimy, spongy, or hard?  Can you blow it off with a turkey baster?

Looks like you might have a cyano problem as well. :unsure:

Not sure about the texture as I haven't touched it. The brown stuff is diatoms. The tank is only 11 weeks old.

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

For some reason that reminds me of mold, but I’ve never heard of it in a reef tank before?

1 hour ago, biggjoe8 said:

20190613_112253.jpg

It is slimy.

1 minute ago, biggjoe8 said:

It is slimy.

Then it's likely nothing beneficial.  While I can't provide an identification, I suggest manual removal.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that no one knows what this is. I have even an online saltwater fish store and they didn't know. Granted im not a photographer and the pics aren't the best but someone should know.

• Like 1

Could be a fungus; IDK, maybe bacterial.  It's not terribly common, so I wouldn't expect that lot of people have experienced it.  Plus those that have, probably just treated it without ever getting a positive ID.

• Like 1